Please sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Firemouth cichlids are hard to sex. The males might have more red, but I don't think that's a definitive way to tell. You just have to wait and see if they will pair off.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396092042.577064.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396092085.387083.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396092162.236483.jpg this is my MALE firemouth!!! He's only about 3 inches but shows tremendous coloration

Wow he is beautiful. I think the second one is a male and he's just starting to show now.

The thing is is that the other is far less colourful but is the dominant one. Is it normal for females to chase males until the male catches up on size?

Did u just buy them?

No had them maybe 3 months now.

There is another smaller one in the tank and one in quarantine at the mo.

I bought 4 hoping 2 would pair off.

That's strange actually because when I first bought mine he looked like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396094328.356156.jpg !!! My has he changed haha. I also believe males have a longer flowing dorsal fin

Yes this is how all mine looked (except the sick one) now the smaller if the 2 are getting the black stripes and redder throat. The bigger dominant one can colour up but rarely does.

Ok this is MY opinion but I think in the first picture is the females due to the lack of color and body shape!!! The
Seconed is a male due to his coloration and in longed body structure which males have. So I believe it's possible tey could mate!

Yes I love mine too!! Just wish he wasn't AS aggressive!! But he has a lot to chase around in the tank so it's ok!

Back
Top Bottom