please sex these dempsys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio420jb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
52567329.jpg

can you tell what sex these are ?? which is which?

ohio420jb...

Unfortunately your picture cuts off the part of the dorsal fin that might provide enough of a clue to tell you the gender of your fish. In general, male cichlids have longer, more pointed dorsal fins than the female. With Jack Dempseys the color isn't a very good indicator because they can change it so fast. I'd suspect that the darker fish is a male but the lighter fish could either be a female or a less dominant male.

Can you get us a picture showing the entire dorsal fin of each fish??

I'm guessing male, but I was never very good at this.
Are these your fish, or are you picking them out from a LFS?

Looks to me like the two larger fish are males (the dark one is dominant) and the smaller fish is probably a female.

any pics of known male and females? how big till they can breed, what size?

From the pictures it looks like they are already breeding size, what size of tank is that?

Dempseys are cave-spawning cichlids, and wont spawn in a bare tank like that. Some substrate, rocks, and caves would definately help. Try a big ceramic flower pot, when I bred dempseys thats what I used. And you wont definately get a pair. The easiest way to get a pair is have 5-6 juveniles in a tank and wait for them to pair up.

Just make sure the flower pot is aquarium safe. I had a flower pot in my QT tank and I believe it led to many early deaths :evil:
Also, those are MEAN fish. JMHO, the dominant male will terrorize the other male. Definitely put in gravel and caves. Read up about JD by googling them.

Back
Top Bottom