Pleco ignores Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have a common pleco in my 75 had him for over a yr possibly 2 but he stopped cleaning the tank. I usually feed him bottom feeder tablets I stopped for a couple of days and he still will not clean once in a blue moon. Meanwhile my tiny pleco in my 10 gallon cleans the tank like a champ. Anyone had this problem before

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard that once a pleco reaches a certain size they stop cleaning the algae. Not sure if this is true, but my large pleco doesn't eat algae either (well at least not off the glass). He mostly hangs out on the drift wood or in his cave.

In my experience young plecos are the best workers. All my older plecos hide and only come out at night. :(

Similarly, my Albino Bristlenose Pleco stopped eating the bottom feeder tablets I give him. I might need to throw in a cucumber slice.

Mine like shrimp pellets...they were meant for my other fishes but o well!

Plecos are omnivores meaning that they will eat algae and other plant matter but they will also eat meaty foods.

Plecos in general are not really that great of a tank cleaner. They produce far more waste then they ever remove algae, especially the common Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom