Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

poor blue acara

i have a 2yr old blue acara in a 140litre tank he got an eye fungus which i was treating with a liquid medication and was doing 20% water changes every 3 days with the activated carbon taken out of my external filter as suggested to me by a sales person at our local pet store. unfortunately i couldnt save that eye. Now its on the other eye so i went back to the store and they gave me a stronger tablet form of antibiotic and i am also doing salt baths it doesnt look good 4 this eye either and im still persisting with treatment but not hopeful as the eye isnt looking intact! am confussed can you have a blind acara is it cruel and inhumane? should i put him out of his mysery?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

its kind of up to you whether you want to try and make it live a long healthy life or take it out of its blind misery. i would try dosing pimafix and melafix and do lots and lots of water changes, like 50% every day for a couple weeks and see if that helps any. Clean water is the best cure for any sickness in an aquarium, sometimes meds have to be used, but i prefer pimafix and melafix since theyre all natural and wont mess with the nitrifying bacteria causing another cycle. jmo... btw welcome to aa

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acara

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com