Possible pH issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys! So I was being bored and decided to use some ph strips and test for ha ha's. Well, my 3 cichlid tanks came back at low so I immediately got out my hi low liquid kit and got 7.4-7.6 for all 3.

I have historically had a dead on 8.2 since last year but I haven't checked the ph since I moved into the 125g.

I have only about 70lbs of crushed coral/gravel/shell mix. Should i worry or get more substrate? I have maybe 20lbs in the 55g still i can use that if needed. i do not use any buffers or stabilizers and would prefer to stay away from chemicals.

Thanks!! :cool:

I would test over a few days to see if the ph is fluxuating at all. If it is not and is stable then i wouldnt worry about it.

There are also certain rocks that naturally raise the pH, certain lace rocks.

Yep, I keep holey stone in one tank. I'm looking at new rock, maybe I'll get more holey rock.

Hi Carey, my tap water is about a 7.0, my coral substrate and one tray of pure aragonite get it up to about 7.5 or so, I then use aquasonic rift lake conditioner to get it up to 8.0 and use aquasonic KH generator to buffer the water, kh level is at about 10 and that seems to keep it at a steady 8.0. I add all this at pwc time ( only a couple of tablespoons) and know exactly how much to add to maintain my levels, works a treat and the fish seem very active and happy.

Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom