possible stocking for a 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm almost through cyclying a 125 g tank its 6 ft long and I was going to ask what you thought about this possible stock list
1 albino Oscar
1 electric blue JD
3 convicts
1 gold severum
2 albino bristlenose pleco and maybe a medium size catfish of some kind! Aq advisor says its fine and with a aquaclear 110 and 2 cascade 300s my filtration should handle it but what I was wondering is if those of you with experience see any potential problems with this setup? This is my first time with a tank this size and with cichlids so any help would be great!

The convicts could quickly become a problem if they pair off and spawn, better to stick with singles. A Synodontis catfish would work, eupterus are pretty commonly available and inexpensive, and there are an increasing number of hybrids turning up as well.

I forgot to mention that I will get all male or all female convicts I realize they are very aggresive spawners! I'm also not super attached to them so if there is a fish you suggest a replacement I would consider them!

They're also prone to die for no apparent reason about halfway grown, simply not a solid/healthy variant of the species.
There are other species that would be less troublesome than convicts, Honduran red points might also be a better bet for blue fish than the EBJD. I had 3 pairs of those in a 38 (36"x12") and 2 pairs were spawning. They were young ones that had just matured, but there wasn't even a split fin among them. Cutteri are also relatively mellow cichlids, though not as colorful.

Back
Top Bottom