post your cichlid setup here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439146193.613966.jpg my 50 gallon cichlid tank not finished yet

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Just finished getting this set up yesterday... hope you all enjoy!B

11872198_10102377479149677_6408578010999445303_o.jpg

Gave up Africans, on to South America!

Okay, so the platys aren't from SA... neither is the Java fern. But the three little Keyholes growing out in this system are! I guess the sword plant is too. Anyway, this is my current 40G breeder.

I kept Central Americans forever. Then rift lake cichlids, now I am venturing into the Amazon... got plans for a 55 gallon with Angels and a 125 with Oscars and piranha.

Attachments

• keyholes.jpg
    keyholes.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 150
  • keyholes2.jpg
    keyholes2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 144
  • keyholes3.jpg
    keyholes3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP5273.jpg
    IMGP5273.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 156
Okay, so the platys aren't from SA... neither is the Java fern. But the three little Keyholes growing out in this system are! I guess the sword plant is too. Anyway, this is my current 40G breeder.

I kept Central Americans forever. Then rift lake cichlids, now I am venturing into the Amazon... got plans for a 55 gallon with Angels and a 125 with Oscars and piranha.

Those fish look nice!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439439806.388144.jpg

Still work in progress but my oscars finally have a bigger tank and some new friends

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

55 gallon Mbuna tank. 4 red zebra. 4 acei, 4 rusty cichlids. Best stock combo in my opinion. Those rocks were found by me in rivers and streams around me.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439562150.830180.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439562190.847908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439562227.917785.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439562332.025749.jpg

55 gallon Mbuna tank. 4 red zebra. 4 acei, 4 rusty cichlids. Best stock combo in my opinion. Those rocks were found by me in rivers and streams around me.

I love Rustys... I never see them for sale around here, excecpt recently I spotted two in the LFS. I would have grabbed them if I still had my mbuna tank set up! They look great with Acei indeed.

This is my shellie tank. Instead of writing a whole new message, I just copied a part of my post on my original thread:

This tank was originally planted but I got tired of algae and other problems with the plants, so I decided to switch to something plantless.

The tank is a 20 gallon tall, with aragonite sand, around 30 escargot shells, and some type of rock that's used in saltwater tanks as a centerpiece (base rock was what it was labeled as).

I ordered 8 of them, but 2 were DOA. That left me with 6, what I now know to be 2 males and 4 females, based on their size (males are bigger) and behavior (males fight each other; females occasionally do as well, but not as brutally).

Since I got them, the largest male has claimed almost all of the tank for himself. He allows the other females to stay but is completely intolerant of the smaller male. He eventually chased the smaller male up into the top corner of the tank, and would chase him if he ever came out. Right now the smaller male is in a breeder box with some sand and a few shells, because the large male was going to harass him to death eventually. He seems much better now. I may try to reintroduce him later, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But that’s all for the boring stuff. Time for... PICTURES!

Largest male, with his mate, or one of his mates (scandalous ):

Largest male, with his other mate in the background:

Largest male in front of rockwork:

Largest male with his first mate again:

Close up of the big male:

Shot of the whole tank:

Edit: the picture inserts didn't work, but I fixed it now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440374318.626345.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440374403.338170.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440374439.448727.jpg
Here's my cichlid tank what do you thinkImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440374529.225062.jpg

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

This is my shellie tank. Instead of writing a whole new message, I just copied a part of my post on my original thread:

This tank was originally planted but I got tired of algae and other problems with the plants, so I decided to switch to something plantless.

The tank is a 20 gallon tall, with aragonite sand, around 30 escargot shells, and some type of rock that's used in saltwater tanks as a centerpiece (base rock was what it was labeled as).

I ordered 8 of them, but 2 were DOA. That left me with 6, what I now know to be 2 males and 4 females, based on their size (males are bigger) and behavior (males fight each other; females occasionally do as well, but not as brutally).

Since I got them, the largest male has claimed almost all of the tank for himself. He allows the other females to stay but is completely intolerant of the smaller male. He eventually chased the smaller male up into the top corner of the tank, and would chase him if he ever came out. Right now the smaller male is in a breeder box with some sand and a few shells, because the large male was going to harass him to death eventually. He seems much better now. I may try to reintroduce him later, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But that’s all for the boring stuff. Time for... PICTURES!

Largest male, with his mate, or one of his mates (scandalous ):

Largest male, with his other mate in the background:

Largest male in front of rockwork:

Largest male with his first mate again:

Close up of the big male:

Shot of the whole tank:

Edit: the picture inserts didn't work, but I fixed it now.

I like that concept you got going there, it's natural.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom