power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
I'm not knocking it, just curious myself. I figure your filter flow would be enough. I guess the added surface agitation isn't gonna hurt. If you see your fish struggling and fighting the current then you know it's too much also if you notice your fish staying to one side and away from it that may also be a sign of too much flow.

Just a thought...

See i built a long wand for my out take cause the original wand was small and the jets were to powerful for when it was a planted tank now water doesnt seem to come out that fast

A power head is really necessary? I have a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank with a fx5 canister. I don't use a power head but I do have 2 Rena 300 air pumps running a 12" air wand and 1 4" round stone.

What is the reason for the power head? To agitate the surface?

Just curious...

View attachment 75800

No an FX5 has plenty of flow for your tank. If you notice a bunch of poo piling up just adjust your outlets.

Jmedic25 said:
No an FX5 has plenty of flow for your tank. If you notice a bunch of poo piling up just adjust your outlets.

That's what I thought. Was just curious since the OP brought up the use of power heads.

Those that run a powerhead, do you attach it to a sponge filter?

I've a similar set up to X and have been following this thread.

I'm cycling a standard 48" 55 gallon soon to be male Peacock tank.

I have 2 - Aquaclear 70's and I have an Aquaclear 50 Powerhead.

My thoughts are if I'm running a power head, why not gain some filtration? I should be able to disguise it with some rocks.....

Back
Top Bottom