power heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do cichlids like calm water or should i get a power head and up the current a little

I have always used them, lots of the fish like the water flow. What size tank and I can give you an idea how mnay or how large to use.

Also I do agree very much that they are good to help filter the tank and can help add air also. Start with one, I had two in my 55 gallon tank.

If you look at one look at like 200-300gph about// I am trying to see if I can find the exact one I had, its been a long time

Ya I think when I got the first one for my tank it was a penguin 550 or 650 cant remember, they are around 145-175gph.

and FYI the Aqueon Circulation Pumps I got one and I am not impressed with it at all. I am sure I need a larger one for my tank but still it does not really move much water at all. I will not buy one again at all.

Well if the filter inlet was in the back left corner I would place it in back right either pointing towards the filter inlet or bounce off front wall at an angle towards the filter inlet. Also depends on where the filter outlet is. What type of filter are you running? goal is for it to move the waste around towards the filter inlet but also not make area where waste will lay still somewhere beacuse of the current. Also differnt shaped tanks change water flow, but I bet you have the normal 55 so I would just say push from left to right or right to left, have I confused you now LOL

Awesome and where should i put it in the tank

No im tracking....it is a normal 55g and my filter is a rena xp3 rated for 175g....the inlet is in the back left but i have a lot of rock in the tank...should it go towards the bottom or top of the tank here is a pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120210_105853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120210_105853.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
If you put it in the back right corner on the side wall in the back not on back wall it can make a water flow in the back and still leave the front calm, And it would help move the water to the heater and filter.

I have done it in both places, just depends on what you find works best in the tank, start with it towards the top middle and you can always move it around anywhere you want. thats what i really like about them is that you can always move them and change flow in the tank. I like running air through them the most though so they airate the water well and I think the look is cool.

A power head is really necessary? I have a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank with a fx5 canister. I don't use a power head but I do have 2 Rena 300 air pumps running a 12" air wand and 1 4" round stone.

What is the reason for the power head? To agitate the surface?

Just curious...

View attachment 75800

Last edited:
I just was wondering if i should use it...i know some fish like fast moving water and some dont

xfactor6699 said:
I just was wondering if i should use it...i know some fish like fast moving water and some dont

I'm not knocking it, just curious myself. I figure your filter flow would be enough. I guess the added surface agitation isn't gonna hurt. If you see your fish struggling and fighting the current then you know it's too much also if you notice your fish staying to one side and away from it that may also be a sign of too much flow.

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom