Power Loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrider

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you guys do in case of power loss to protect fish and bacteria ??? I also have a bad powerhead, is more gph better ???

Redrider said:
What do you guys do in case of power loss to protect fish and bacteria ??? I also have a bad powerhead, is more gph better ???

A generator is the best thing. Other then that, I use a battery back up surge protector and I have about 4 battery operated air pumps.

Depending on how long the power is out i just move water around by hand breaking the surface to add oxygen. Also i keep pouring water through the filter to keep the bb alive. If the power is out for a long time i suggest what convict said.

I have a smart ups backup running on my sump. It is supposed to last 8 hours and when that runs out I have a generator I can hook it up to. This is a nowhere near cheap decision though. The smart ups cost me $1800. Only reason I got it was because I know they are reliable as that's what I use for backup on a data network running for a whole town.

Power was once out on my tank for several day prior to the backup and there were no issues. This was also prior to my sump installed.

Back
Top Bottom