power outage, sick fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicosia31

Aquarium Advice Regular
My circiut breaker flipped to my aquarium and it lost power for what could have been close to 24 hours. Now I have noiticed irritation around the gills of most of my fish. They are a little pink. Ill post pictures asap.

Luckily the room is above the garage and is difficult to keep cool. The temp was within a safe range when I arrived.

However it did lose filtration. The air pump stayed on because its plugged in seperately. So there was some circulation. I did a 30% wc then tested for nitrate. Somewhere b/w 10 and 20 ppm. Ill post pics of test tube if I need to. I'm thinking of doing another wc. My ph stays around 8.0 with the help of limestone, and my tap water is around 7.8. So I'm thinking it would be safe to do another wc.

This has gotten me really upset. I would appreciate any advice very much.

Tank should be fine, is the power back on? I wouldnt worry too much:)

To assure you, i have forgotten to turn my filter on several times overnight, and the fish were ok! The power even went out when people were working on the electricity (so they wouldnt get shocked, they turned it off) for a long time and they were all fine!!:)

Last winter we lost power for 25.5 hours (trust me, when it's 13 degrees out that .5 hours matters!!) we had nothing!! Temp dropped to 60 in the tanks despite my best efforts to wrap it. All that said, I didn't lose a single fish!

You should be ok.

Pink gills could be a sign of ammonia in the tank. So test for that.

Back
Top Bottom