Powerhead vs circulation pump for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a 125 gallon tank that I am moving my africans into. What's the difference between the two and what would work better? I found a circulation pump for $15. It does 800gph. Is this to much? Any information or recommendations excepted.

Circulation pump is only going to give you circulation in the water but will do nothing to aid in the direct aeration of the tank. As long as you point it correctly it will help with helping to relieve dead spots in your filtration. If I were you I would get a Venturi Powerhead. It will move around water just like the pump would but will bring oxygen directly into the water column.

I have two filters and have enough gas exchange. I just have never seen a pump that did that much that cheap. So a circulation pump will do the job of moving water around and help keep crap off the ground

We're you shopping at harbor freight? I've used some of their pumps in the past. Just make sure you use a pre filter and clean it often if not they will mess up quickly.

Oh ok, looks like it should do a good job in your tank. I've never owned something like that but always something I've wanted to buy. I'm actually hoping my "antique" lol aqua clear Powerhead goes out so I can buy something like that ^^ or maybe some kind of wave maker system.

That's up to you. Take into consideration your stock. If they prefer slower water stick with the smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom