Preggers is this cichlid holding what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zakwhite

Aquarium Advice Activist
S this cichlid holding I am excited as its my first breed I think!!am I correct in saying this what should I do tips advice etc signs to look for??

Attachments

• image-4074416171.jpg
    image-4074416171.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2133865209.jpg
    image-2133865209.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 116
Looks like it, two options, either leave her in and see how it goes regarding survival rate,
Or
Remove her and place her in breeding trap or tank and let her spit then place her back into aquarium when lights are off etc

Sistill said:
Looks like it, two options, either leave her in and see how it goes regarding survival rate,
Or
Remove her and place her in breeding trap or tank and let her spit then place her back into aquarium when lights are off etc

Thanks for reply can't see me catching her in the tank any ideas??

Better pics

Attachments

• image-3480771830.jpg
    image-3480771830.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1831200737.jpg
    image-1831200737.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 110
I have had my cichlid fir 6 months now and have never done anything special to breed them. I started off with 20 of them and already have 40-50. Unless you want to sell them or give them to people just leave them alone and probably 1 or 2 will survive to adulthood each time they breed.

I have had two spit in tank, and had three survive from each batch, it's natures way, they only problem I can see is potential in breeding

Zakwhite said:
Thanks for reply can't see me catching her in the tank any ideas??

If you want a fry tank and want to catch her the best thing is to do it at night, before you go to bed. Leave the tank lights off for a couple hours and usually the fish lay at the bottom in a sleep-like state. Ten use a large net and slowly scoop her in.

Good luck!

CraigMac said:
If you want a fry tank and want to catch her the best thing is to do it at night, before you go to bed. Leave the tank lights off for a couple hours and usually the fish lay at the bottom in a sleep-like state. Ten use a large net and slowly scoop her in.

Good luck!

My fish sleep among the rocks!! Would never work for me lol

Well then your options are to remove some rocks and then dim the lights or just let her spit in the main tank and see what happens. You'll probably end up with 0-3 fry survive depending on tankmates, aquarium size and hiding places.

Yesterday got a new tabk put her in only a small one temporary obviously it's the fluval chi - great little tank light filter etc actually £59 it was ! 19 litres I think tips please also she def still has eggs you can see yellow balls in her mouth

Here's a pic of her and her tank!

Attachments

• image-3855214869.jpg
    image-3855214869.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 65
Mogurako said:
That small of a tank will probably stress her out more than is she stayed in the main tank.

She's o ly small at the moment once te babies are out she's going straight back ;)

Back
Top Bottom