Preparing a 100 gal. cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RazorbacksFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After the lfs offering me a deal I could not resist on a 100 gallon tank I decided to set up a cichlid tank. I am having trouble deciding which direction to go as far as stocking it, I've changed my mind I don't know how many times.

Currently I only have the tank, stand,lights ,and heater so I am not locked in any direction as far as substrate/hard scaping or filtration I figured it would be best to make those decisions based on stocking.

Here are some of the options I have considered

• Transfer my pair of convicts out of the 20 gal. "pen" then add an oscar or two and another pair or two of convicts. Or some firemouths or jack dempseys.
  • Go the african route probably yellow labs, red zebras, eletric blues, all in groups of 4, maybe a dolphin cichlid or two in the mix two.
I'm very open to suggestions and your help will be greatly appreciated.

What about going with a Tanganyikan tank? :) They may be harder to find, but they are full of "personality" and have cool breeding behaviors. Plus, if they bred, they'd be worth more than Convict fry.

Cyprichromis are gorgeous, some shell dwellers, maybe some Calvus and/or Julidochromis.

Could be an awesome tank!

100g could be alot of room to play with for Mbuna too.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

What about going with a Tanganyikan tank? :) They may be harder to find, but they are full of "personality" and have cool breeding behaviors. Plus, if they bred, they'd be worth more than Convict fry.

Cyprichromis are gorgeous, some shell dwellers, maybe some Calvus and/or Julidochromis.

Could be an awesome tank!

100g could be alot of room to play with for Mbuna too.

What are the dimensions of the tank?
I had not considered any Tang. Cichlids never really paid them any attention really but I will take a look at them. I believe the tank is 72x18x20.

Great! Perfect size for Tanganyikan or Mbuna. :) Just wanted to make sure it was a long tank rather than a tall tank. Tall wouldn't be good for Mbuna. Congrats on the good deal!

Great! Perfect size for Tanganyikan or Mbuna. :) Just wanted to make sure it was a long tank rather than a tall tank. Tall wouldn't be good for Mbuna. Congrats on the good deal!
It's definitely long and 399 for a 100 tank, beautiful wood stand,hoods, and lights and all new I just about messed myself when he gave me the price.:D

Back
Top Bottom