Problems with my angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igongora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I have two angels in my 20gl tank, but it looks they are becoming extremely aggressive.. 2 days ago, I bought a new angel, but it was very small compared to the ones I have. Yesterday I noticed they where trying to eat the little one. Is it normal? I have two black angels (about 4-5 inch), and the one I just bought is a gray one (its about 1 inch). These angels also ate my guppies tail, and I guess they ate another guppy I had.. :( is it normal that behavior?

Another question: I was thinking about feeding my fish with shrimp, I mean going to the market and buy normal shrimp. then chop it in little pieces and feed them, Can I feed them that type of shrimp?

Thanks.

Get that little one out of there. The larger ones are sexually mature and very territorial. They will kill new angels that are introduced into their territories.

As for the guppys it is probably just a matter of, if it fits in the mouth they will try and eat it. Angels will eat small fish.

You can feed the raw shrimp if you like, chop it very fine and don't put much in as it can pollute your water fast. I would only feed somthing like that once a week, preferably right before water change time.

So that means that this angels can reproduce soon? I can't move the small one cuz I have another tank, but I have danios zebras and rosy barbs, and they will attack the little angel.

How much shrimp should I feed them? one shrimp would be enough?

It is possible if they are a pair and they like each other. I just meant that they are adults or close to it now and they won't allow intrusions in their space. Since they are in a 20 they are pretty cramped and will be even more aggressive because of it.

I would feed just a couple little pieces of shrimp and see if they eat it. A whole shrimp would be enough of a feeding for an adult oscar.

Despite their name, angelfish can be unholy terrors toward their own kind. Your new angel is starting out with a huge disadvantage:
1) He was introduced into a tank containing two angelfish with established territories.
2) He is alot smaller.
3) The two established angels may have paired off - they're about the right size.

You could try rearranging the decor to upset the bigger angels' established territories. Still, I'm not too optimistic that your new addition will be able to hold his own against two bigger fish. If your big angels have in fact paired off, there is no way the smaller one will be tolerated. You should be prepared to either move the smaller angel to another tank, or bring him back.

Angelfish eat small tetras like neons. Maybe your guppies look like food to them. It's pretty normal behavior for any cichlid to try to eat anything that will fit in its mouth.

I've never tried feeding fresh shrimp, but I can tell you that my angels love frozen bloodworms. Go easy on these protein-rich treats - offer them only once or twice a week. My angels eat all kinds of flake foods and nibble on leafy veggies.

You can't tell the sex unkess you actually see them laying eggs and are able to see the breeding tubes.

Yes you will know if they lay eggs. They will lay them on a broad leaf or a filter tube and will guard them. They will also terrorize everything else in the tank as well.

so 2 mature angels are pairing off. That leads to 3 possible pairings.

The most destructive will be if you happen to have 2 males. They see each other as competition even though there is no female around and will defend their section of the tank to the death, literally.

The next pairing will be a lot more doscile as it will be 2 female angels. They MAY pair up as a lesbian pair and both lay eggs. Generally after this happens they will become agressive towards one another but in some cases they carry on being a happy couple.

The 3rd is a happy balance. That would be a male and a female angelfish. A few things i have noticed when i knew i had a confirmed pair was that while they did "fight" or "wrestle" it was mostly mouth to mouth fighting as if they were kissing. They would lock lips and then have a sort of "tug-of-war" between the 2 of them. When they were chasing fish out of thier territory, especially during spawning time, they would turn so they were very flat and then literally spearhead any fish that came close .... and trust me when I say that they were EXTREMELY fast and VERY vicious.

In the last 2 pairing possibilities, the 2 angels swam together quite a bit. Not always together, but were together for a majority of thier day.

Back
Top Bottom