Pseud. saulosi in 36x24x24 Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffinSealBeach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really like African Cichlids (had a 6 ft. tank in past), but I am working with a really tight space in my new home. I have a spot that would handle a 3 ft long tank, but nothing longer. But I can go wider, so I am considering a 90 gallon wide tank (36x24x24). I already have a Fluval 406 and I was thinking of adding a HOB filter like the Fluval C4 w/ extra biomedia + a powerhead with sponge (for filtration and water movement)

My plan is to use a large amount of red lava rock to build up a "reef" and going with either play sand or perhaps a black cichlid friendly substrate.

I was considering going with an all Pseudotropheus saulosi setup. If I had more room, I would get a 4 foot or longer tank for them, but that's just not an option. Some have suggested that, although length is more important than width, the extra width will have some benefits for this species.

Do those of you who are more knowledgeable think this will work well? It seems like it might since these guys only get to 4" or so. But I don't want to have a tank where the fish can't "live long and prosper," so I want to hear what you think.

If the tank will work, what would be a good stocking number? (I would buy juveniles and then remove some of the males as the group matures.)

Wrong thread?

There have been 50 views, but zero responses.

Did I post this on wrong thread? Or has this already been discussed at length somewhere else? (I haven't been able to see a lot regarding 36x24x24 stocking online...so I though I would post the question here).

Mods- move to cichlid forumn please*** I think this post is so specialized that everyone is afraid to comment;) i think you're doing it right.. Tank wise anyways.. Someone will be along shortly to weigh in on fish choice.. Severum mama or Thecommunitycichlid will be by for sure..

Last edited:
I really like African Cichlids (had a 6 ft. tank in past), but I am working with a really tight space in my new home. I have a spot that would handle a 3 ft long tank, but nothing longer. But I can go wider, so I am considering a 90 gallon wide tank (36x24x24). I already have a Fluval 406 and I was thinking of adding a HOB filter like the Fluval C4 w/ extra biomedia + a powerhead with sponge (for filtration and water movement)

My plan is to use a large amount of red lava rock to build up a "reef" and going with either play sand or perhaps a black cichlid friendly substrate.

I was considering going with an all Pseudotropheus saulosi setup. If I had more room, I would get a 4 foot or longer tank for them, but that's just not an option. Some have suggested that, although length is more important than width, the extra width will have some benefits for this species.

Do those of you who are more knowledgeable think this will work well? It seems like it might since these guys only get to 4" or so. But I don't want to have a tank where the fish can't "live long and prosper," so I want to hear what you think.

If the tank will work, what would be a good stocking number? (I would buy juveniles and then remove some of the males as the group matures.)

It is hard to say, my own experience with this particular fish in a 3' tank was never good. Despite their small size, I always found them to be very aggressive to their own species and twice I ended up with a population of one. I have heard/read of one individual keeping a breeding population in a 3' tank, so I would say it can be done, but that would appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

I would guess that having lots and lots of hiding space would be key, and I would think that a higher population would also be important. I'm currently having pretty good luck with six of them in a six foot tank with some other species, but I think if I were keeping a species only tank, I would start with at least a dozen.

Mods- move to cichlid forumn please*** I think this post is so specialized that everyone is afraid to comment;) i think you're doing it right.. Tank wise anyways.. Someone will be along shortly to weigh in on fish choice.. Severum mama or Thecommunitycichlid will be by for sure..

It works much better if you report the post/thread rather than asking us to take action within the thread. If you report it, we all see it. If you simply comment, none of us might see it.

Sounds like using a 3 ft tank with these fish is a hit or miss prospect. I think I'm going to give it a try, but only because I don't have the option of a longer tank. Hopefully, the extra width and making a huge lava rock "reef" (perhaps even adding some hidden PVC) will be enough to make this "iffy" setup work well.

I'll probably start out with 18 or so juveniles and then sell off most of the males once they are able to be sexed...leaving 3 or so males and 12 or so female adults. How does that plan sound to you?

Wy Renagade, thank you for your feedback! It really helps me see that this is a less than ideal setup and that I'll need to be careful.

It will be while before I get the tank up and running (I have to order it and I'll be making a stand/canopy for it myself). I'll try to post some pics and feedback on how things work out as the fish mature.

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Be sure and post up pictures and progress as you go so we can keep track of how your project progresses.

Back
Top Bottom