Question about Fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have decided to try to keep some of my cichlid fry in a separate tank. I have tried letting them grow in main tank, but in the past year I have probably had 7 batches or more and have only 1 that survived to over an inch.
So I setup and cycled a little 10gal next to my 75g. by the time it cycled my female Kenyi had spit the batch of fry she had. I was able to only catch two fry. So my main question is, two little fry wont keep my bacteria alive will they? I don't have much I could add except a 2" bristlenose, but I am not sure how much it would stress him out by moving him from 7.2 PH 55g to a small 10g 8.2 ph. any suggestions?

well my sugestion is when u see her not eating any food usualy she is holding eggs or fry so move her into the 10 gall. untill she spits. if u need to keep bacteria going put a dirty filter behind the new one that u cycled. or i also soak one in my fry tank for a couple hours weekly. i no this is probably not the proper way but it works for me. my snow white just spit her fry this morning and all are doing well and moms back in her big 55 ready for next round lol

Yes, next time I will be moving holding female probably another month and one of females will surely be holding again. Thanks for tips on keeping bacteria alive.

Back
Top Bottom