Question...do you need and air Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monroe10

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I saw it on Facebook, is there a need for air Pump and bubble wand? I'm asking this because I've seen in Facebook that if you have either powerheads or wave makers to break the water tension you will get enough O2 exchange. I've always used bubble wands but are they just to break the water tension? Do they not add O2 to the water?

They break the surface tension and generate movement. This causes gas exchange at the surface. Indirectly, oxygen is added.
Do you need them? I'd say yes if the existing filter does not cause enough surface movement or if no other devices (power heads, wave makers, etc) are present.

So I saw it on Facebook, is there a need for air Pump and bubble wand? I'm asking this because I've seen in Facebook that if you have either powerheads or wave makers to break the water tension you will get enough O2 exchange. I've always used bubble wands but are they just to break the water tension? Do they not add O2 to the water?
Hi Monroe10:

Extra aeration is never a bad idea, but it's usually not necessary unless your tank is heavily overstocked. If you have a power filter of the appropriate size for your tank you probably have enough aeration from it.

It's true that the O2/CO2 exchange occurs at the surface but, again, your power filter is most likely agitating the surface enough for adequate aeration.

The bubble wands, airstones etc. contribute to aeration by agitating the surface above them. The bubbles themselves don't add an appreciable amount of oxygen to the water.

I have a power head in there now causing breakup of the surface but I'm wondering if adding a wave maker would be beneficial to the fish, look, and O2 to the tank. Just wondering if it is worth spending the money.

Hi Monroe10:

Extra aeration is never a bad idea, but it's usually not necessary unless your tank is heavily overstocked. If you have a power filter of the appropriate size for your tank you probably have enough aeration from it.

It's true that the O2/CO2 exchange occurs at the surface but, again, your power filter is most likely agitating the surface enough for adequate aeration.

The bubble wands, airstones etc. contribute to aeration by agitating the surface above them. The bubbles themselves don't add an appreciable amount of oxygen to the water.

I have a canister with the return under the water, not able to adjust direction, I also have a power head hitting the surface. Have the bubbles but I have never liked the look of them.

Back
Top Bottom