Question for the" Discus Guru"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has about completed its cycle and my original intent is to get about 6 Discus (prob. from DiscusMadness.com), but first I wanted to stock with some cories and maybe a school of Tetras.

My question is about the bio-load: How many cories and tetras could I have if I wanted 6 Discus? I plan on getting the cories and tetras first and then the Discus, is this the right step?
Also, it won't be a prob.(w/ the bio-load) getting all 6 Discus at once will it?
Finally, any experience with DiscusMadness?

My tank specs: 75 gal
gravel and driftwood substrate
80 watts NO lighting
300 watt in-line-heater
Eheim 2026 canister filter
Magnum 350 canister filter

:D I like the the way you're going about this critter. Get all of the tankmates acclimated before you add the discus. A couple of reasons.... the discus will be the dominant fish in the tank and an established school of tetras will make it easier to acclimate than the other way around (if that makes sense), and you'll get a chance to check for illness before your main fish are there.

As for numbers it depends on the tetras and cories you have in mind. 12-16 cardinals or rummy nose and 8 cories would work. Six adult discus would then max the tank out. I'm guessing that y ou're going to be buying juveniles (because I looked at discusmadness.com). Here comes my concern.

If you noticed the tanks he's selling from, you'll notice all bare bottom exceptionally clean tanks. That's a good thing and a sign that he knows how to raise fish. He also mentions that he feeds his young fish 5 times a day (a variety of foods). It's important to feed young fish often to insure they stay healthy and don't become stunted. My point is, it's close to impossible to feed young fish enough in a planted tank and keep the water clean enough to avoid problems. If he raises his discus like the website says he does, these young discus are in for a big shock in water quality from the substrate alone. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you increase the risk of environmental problems.

You'll have a much better shot at raising those show looking fish to adulthood if you invested in a say a 29gallon tank and grew those 2-3 inch discus to 5 inches before adding them to your planted 75g. Also, you'll find it's less work and easier to care for them while growing in a 29g than a 75g :wink:

You make a very good point with your concern. But, I do not have a spot anywhere in my house for another tank, even a small 29 gal. not to mention that my wife would have a fit if I mentioned that idea to her. I already have alot invested in the 75 gal. money wise.

Is there any other alternative for me? Maybe getting some locally or possibly buying some bigger ones that would be more stable?

I completely understand what your saying though. But I am hoping that you could suggest an alternative which would allow me to keep Discus in this tank I have now.

For sure you're gonna have discus in that great tank critter. :D I wasn't trying to discourage you. Merely pointing out what I see as potential pitfalls. I keep adult discus only in my planted tank, but that's me. I hate to come accross as a know-it-all because I only know what's worked and hasn't worked for me.

Weigh this in your mind.

Advantages of buying discus on line: You know the genetic line and have a very good idea of what the fish should look like. You have a large choice of strains. The prices are more affordable when buying fish in numbers. You can be pretty sure that the fish leave the breeder in top condition.

Disadvantages of buying fish on line. You'll have to pay freight. You'll have to pick them up at the airport. You won't get to see the actual fish before buying them. The fish will be somewhat more stressed from the length of shipping time.

Is there an lfs near you that sells adult discus? Often they're quite expensive. The thing is you'll get to see the actual fish. You'll get to judge the health, see the fish eat, and have an easier recourse should you experience a problem with a particular fish. JMO

Thanks for your advice guys, still pondering my options though. Just want to do this right. :) greenfish: thanks for the link, this might be a thought!! :wink:

I just checked the link critter. Heck, I may buy some at the prices he's asking.
This is a great find and being local you can probably tap his brain. I got started the same way with a local breeder. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom