Question regarding new world cichlid pairs & aggression for 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a couple of questions regarding providing the best setup in terms of aggression for my 75g south American cichlid tank once it’s done cycling. I am currently un-sure what pair I’m going to get, most likely either Blue Acara or JD, EBJD, JD, or GT’s (any other recommendations on great pairs to get would be great!), however, is it a good idea to get three instead of two or does this not really have an effect? Also, what are some good tank mates for a new world cichlid besides a bristlenose pleco?

Convicts are good, firemouths are good, I keep JDs and firemouths, and used to breed convicts. Loved them all.

I've heard and read conflicting things about the EBJDs being weaker than the regular JDs, so I can't help you there other than I think they are beautiful.

As for aggression, the only problem I've had is when we kept our firemouths with our JDs and the firemouths spawned. They turned into evil lil buggers. They got moved to their own tank when I found they had the JDs cowering in a corner. We have 2 male JDs and no aggression issues between themselves.

Make sure you have plenty of hiding places. They need to have their own territories. If you get some new terra cotta flower pots and using a hammer and screw driver along the inside edge where the bottom meets the sides (tap lightly) you can knock the bottom out without breaking it. They love those as caves. Or make rock caves.

I just across an article talking about how EBJD have those issues, especially when they are smaller. I'll probably stay away from them in that case.

I like the look of the flower pot caves. I've already created some caves and hiding places with slate and drift wood, but I'll have to give that a shot as well. I can't wait for this tank to finish cycling! This hobby has taught me to be more patient but it's still difficult lol.

I'm still at 3-5ppm ammonia in my tank and it's been I believe 8 or 9 days now. I used the pure ammonia you find at ace hardware. I'd figure I'd start seeing nitrites soon but I haven't. I actually did 4 days ago, it registered as BARELY .25ppm after sitting in the test tube for almost 10 minutes. Then it never happened again. I didn't do anything to the tank either....hmm. any ideas?

As stated above: fish are more likely to be aggressive in an open tank. Make lots of hiding places, cichlids love their own little spots in the tank. What I found with my BPs is that they love places that are snug. I'm not sure if that's the case with all south American cichlids, but BPs are derived from them so maybe.

I've been looking into semi-aggressive, such as Blue Acara's. If I had one/two Blue Acara, a Severum, and a Firemouth, would the Firemouth be compatible? I know they are generally more aggressive. Would it help to add some dither live silver dollars?

I have 2 very small electric blues in my 40 gal. One is doing amazing and the other not so much.. a very shy fish.. is completely black now and seems stressed so I'm currently cylcling another tank so he can be by himself for a while in a low traffic area. So far they seem to be pretty easy to take care and from what I've read, tend to be less aggressive then the typical JD. They are beautiful fish and I would recommend to atleast give it a try.

dlwn88 said:
I've been looking into semi-aggressive, such as Blue Acara's. If I had one/two Blue Acara, a Severum, and a Firemouth, would the Firemouth be compatible? I know they are generally more aggressive. Would it help to add some dither live silver dollars?

The thing about getting any type of aggressive fish is that they have to be about the same size. There really isn't such a thing defined for "compatibility"-that would be too simple. You need to know the nature of the fish: what makes them aggressive? Is it because they're territorial? Do they come from a species where there is only one dominate alpha? Are do the eat other swimming thing that they can?

Cichlids are some of the hardest fish to mix up. So research the ones you want. It's suggested that if you're trying to mix up aggressive cichlids, then get them young. Make sure they'll all grow around the same rate.

Having a huge tank and lots of places for "homes" really helps eliminating some of the territorial'ness.

Hoped this helped.

Also, once you have your chosen stocking, moving things around when you do a cleaning helps ease the aggression. They will defend their territory, but if you move their territory around, they get confused, which helps curb fighting.

The thing about getting any type of aggressive fish is that they have to be about the same size. There really isn't such a thing defined for "compatibility"-that would be too simple. You need to know the nature of the fish: what makes them aggressive? Is it because they're territorial? Do they come from a species where there is only one dominate alpha? Are do the eat other swimming thing that they can?

Cichlids are some of the hardest fish to mix up. So research the ones you want. It's suggested that if you're trying to mix up aggressive cichlids, then get them young. Make sure they'll all grow around the same rate.

Having a huge tank and lots of places for "homes" really helps eliminating some of the territorial'ness.

Hoped this helped.

Yeah my plan is to get them all really small. Never thought about rearranging stuff though, good idea. I've been doing lots of research of these but there's not much info one which one gets along with which. I understand there are many variables but a basic idea. The only thing I've read that firehorns are insanely aggressive when older then are not to be kept with about anything lol.

I would just hate to buy a blue acara, severum, and a firemouth and some disaster starts. From what it seems like I should be fine. I'd just like to do everything I can some I don't wake up the next day with the severum beat up or something. Would it help to get the fish thats less aggressive slightly larger then a more aggressive one? Like adding a 1.5 inch firemouth and a 2 inch green severum for example. I don't know, just a thought.

Thanks for the help everyone

You're absolutely right. Fish when they're younger aren't as visibly aggressive. It's the hormones (much like humans) that change their behavior. After they are able to reproduce you will notice a bit nipping and whatnot which is perfectly natural.

If you get a bigger less-aggressive cichlid and a smaller semi/aggressive cichlid that would, but for how long? Who knows. If you do that I would go for a fish twice as big, but when the other cichlid gets bigger it might not make a difference.

Don't be too afraid! If doesn't work then lesson learned, if it does then woohoo! :)

Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom