Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

questioning my LFS

i am setting up a 46 gal tank and was planning on keeping yellow labs. I have about 50 lbs of lace rock so lots of hiding places. My LFS said I could have around 12 of them. Are they just trying to sell me alot of fish, or can you really have that many in a 46 gal tank?

Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshwater guy
i am setting up a 46 gal tank and was planning on keeping yellow labs. I have about 50 lbs of lace rock so lots of hiding places. My LFS said I could have around 12 of them. Are they just trying to sell me alot of fish, or can you really have that many in a 46 gal tank?
You could go to aq advisor and see what they say.

http://aqadvisor.com/

Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Is this a 4' tank? Mbuna need a minimum 4' tank (generally a 50 breeder or 55g minimum). If the tank is only 3', then I would suggest sticking with smaller mbuna like rustys.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's not unreasonable. For a 55g, people usually recommend between 8-12 but more than that usually works out if you keep up with water maintenance.

Though most people think you need at least a 4 foot tank for mbunas. Most bow fronts are rather tall..
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

You could go to aq advisor and see what they say.

http://aqadvisor.com/
+1

But keep in mind this is a guideline, and make sure it's not taken completely right. Make sure the percentage is around eighty or less.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would stock a 46g with Saulosi's due their smaller size and typically lower aggression. Plus you still get the yellow.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
Is this a 4' tank? Mbuna need a minimum 4' tank (generally a 50 breeder or 55g minimum). If the tank is only 3', then I would suggest sticking with smaller mbuna like rustys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I would stock a 46g with Saulosi's due their smaller size and typically lower aggression. Plus you still get the yellow.
+ 1 x 2
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is a really cool idea. I always wanted to try Saulosi but never had an appropriate setup for them.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
My 46 bow is 3' thanks to all for the great information.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Not really familiar with the saulosi, i just looked up some pictures of them on line both male and female are very nice looking. how many of the saulois do you think would be appropriate in a 46 bowfront.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would buy 10-15 juvies to end up with a final stock of 2 males to 8 females.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another ? I was at my LFS and they have a number of good looking saulosi when stocking my tank should I get their one male in the tank that has turned already. Or should I get all yellow and let the other males figure out the new pecking order in a new tank on their own?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshwater guy View Post
Another ? I was at my LFS and they have a number of good looking saulosi when stocking my tank should I get their one male in the tank that has turned already. Or should I get all yellow and let the other males figure out the new pecking order in a new tank on their own?
With Cichlids there isn't a pecking order. It's more of a, I want the women and the territory, so your dead. I know that sound harsh, but they can be vicious.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Mbunas. They're awesome, incredibly beautiful and entertaining as all get out.
Try to be as sure as possible that you have only 2 males, it's safer. Sometimes it hard to tell, so my FS lets me bring any back that are accidentally boys and trade them for girls.
Make sure your FS will let you exchange any that are the wrong sex. It will save you an enormous amount of grief.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think 12 yellow labs not gonna be a problem but I would say just cut down a bit on the rock cos it seems gonna be bit too much for your tank.

I love them yellow labs my self. Soon gonna set up a tank just for them.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com