questioning my LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am setting up a 46 gal tank and was planning on keeping yellow labs. I have about 50 lbs of lace rock so lots of hiding places. My LFS said I could have around 12 of them. Are they just trying to sell me alot of fish, or can you really have that many in a 46 gal tank?

Freshwater guy said:
i am setting up a 46 gal tank and was planning on keeping yellow labs. I have about 50 lbs of lace rock so lots of hiding places. My LFS said I could have around 12 of them. Are they just trying to sell me alot of fish, or can you really have that many in a 46 gal tank?

You could go to aq advisor and see what they say.

http://aqadvisor.com/

Is this a 4' tank? Mbuna need a minimum 4' tank (generally a 50 breeder or 55g minimum). If the tank is only 3', then I would suggest sticking with smaller mbuna like rustys.

That's not unreasonable. For a 55g, people usually recommend between 8-12 but more than that usually works out if you keep up with water maintenance.

Though most people think you need at least a 4 foot tank for mbunas. Most bow fronts are rather tall..

I would stock a 46g with Saulosi's due their smaller size and typically lower aggression. Plus you still get the yellow.

Is this a 4' tank? Mbuna need a minimum 4' tank (generally a 50 breeder or 55g minimum). If the tank is only 3', then I would suggest sticking with smaller mbuna like rustys.

I would stock a 46g with Saulosi's due their smaller size and typically lower aggression. Plus you still get the yellow.

+ 1 x 2

This is a really cool idea. I always wanted to try Saulosi but never had an appropriate setup for them. :)

mfdrookie516 said:

My 46 bow is 3' thanks to all for the great information.

Not really familiar with the saulosi, i just looked up some pictures of them on line both male and female are very nice looking. how many of the saulois do you think would be appropriate in a 46 bowfront.

Another ? I was at my LFS and they have a number of good looking saulosi when stocking my tank should I get their one male in the tank that has turned already. Or should I get all yellow and let the other males figure out the new pecking order in a new tank on their own?

Another ? I was at my LFS and they have a number of good looking saulosi when stocking my tank should I get their one male in the tank that has turned already. Or should I get all yellow and let the other males figure out the new pecking order in a new tank on their own?

With Cichlids there isn't a pecking order. It's more of a, I want the women and the territory, so your dead. I know that sound harsh, but they can be vicious.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Mbunas. They're awesome, incredibly beautiful and entertaining as all get out.
Try to be as sure as possible that you have only 2 males, it's safer. Sometimes it hard to tell, so my FS lets me bring any back that are accidentally boys and trade them for girls.
Make sure your FS will let you exchange any that are the wrong sex. It will save you an enormous amount of grief.

I think 12 yellow labs not gonna be a problem but I would say just cut down a bit on the rock cos it seems gonna be bit too much for your tank.

I love them yellow labs my self. Soon gonna set up a tank just for them.

Back
Top Bottom