Ram & frontosa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khymqt24 said:
Any companion to recommnd for frontosa?

What size tank?
Is there anything else in the tank already (besides the frontosa)?

Depending on tank size and current stocking, if there is room then try to stick to other lake tanganyika fish. So ler us know tank size and what you have in it so far. Do a search online and see what you like then come back and let us know and we can help find the best matches. If you stick to fish from the same lake it's alot easier to find compatible tank mates. Start throwing Malawi cichlids in and they will stress your frontosa due to being higher energy, faster and more aggressive(generally). I keep my fronts with goldhead compressiceps, any calvus is also a good pick. I know foai, furcifer and ventralis are a poor match though beautiful are very active and stress the fronts. There are lots of others but I have never kept anything else from lake tang so someone else may have to chime in.

I got 60g with 2in 2frontosa to start with... Help me to stock it please... I like rare fish any idea...

Frontosa's are perhaps best kept with other frontosa's, so more frontosa's would be best for the two 2" fronts you have (of course a frontosa colony, will require a 6ft tank).

They're also compatible with altolamprologus calvus and altolamprologus compressiceps.

I've kept frontosa's with several Lake Malawi 'hap' species (dimidiochromis compressiceps, nimbochromis venustus, cytocara moorii).

Of the above, the d. comps and c. moorii, particularly the females, seem to do well with the frontosa's. I never saw any interaction between the eye-biters and fronts, though the blue dolphins would sometimes harass frontosa's smaller than them. This activity seemed to stop as the fronts got larger than them.

N. Venustus, particularly the males, seem to surpress frontosa activity (the venustus being a somewhat more active swimmer and aggressive fish than the other aforementioned malawi species).

I see thnx... How many u think a good no. of frontosa for 60g with 4ft long

I knoe they grow that big but do they grow that fast in a year or two?

I agree but to a point and if everyone listens to my point they will too. A 2" frontosa doesn't need a 150g ASAP. But as they grow one must upgrade to suit the needs of the fish. If one upgrades thier tank to accommodate thier growing fish it has two benefits, one being the fish gets a comfortable sized home and two is we get to acquire more aquariums ;-) my fronts are currently housed in a 55 but since they are small it's not an issue. I am fully aware that I will in short time need a larger tank and my better half (god bless her) is aware of it. Excuse to upgrade, yes, excuse to restock the 55, yes. Win win.

kdpuffer said:
I agree but to a point and if everyone listens to my point they will too. A 2" frontosa doesn't need a 150g ASAP. But as they grow one must upgrade to suit the needs of the fish. If one upgrades thier tank to accommodate thier growing fish it has two benefits, one being the fish gets a comfortable sized home and two is we get to acquire more aquariums ;-) my fronts are currently housed in a 55 but since they are small it's not an issue. I am fully aware that I will in short time need a larger tank and my better half (god bless her) is aware of it. Excuse to upgrade, yes, excuse to restock the 55, yes. Win win.

Lmto (laugh my tooshie off) that's great!!

Back
Top Bottom