Ram cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinili

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just picked these guys up from my LSF. I'm curious if they are in fact blue rams and if they are male or female. This is one of three.

image-2035570102.jpg

image-1654598329.jpg

The second.

image-518846824.jpg

And the third.
Any help would be much appreciated.

From what I've read and been told, the first looks like a male, the second a female, and I can't really tell on the thrid one. Hope someone else comes along and helps you too!

I don't know if this is how you sex them, but....

If you look into that little black dot by their right or left eye, if it's blue it's a girl, if it's solid it's a guy. Also males have longer fins.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I don't know if this is how you sex them, but....

If you look into that little black dot by their right or left eye, if it's blue it's a girl, if it's solid it's a guy. Also males have longer fins.

Ok thanks I'm having a hard time deciding. It seems everything that I find has totally different ideas on how to sex rams so I'm a little confused.

I posted this in another thread but here's something that might help...

from what I researched and in my experience, the males are more colorful and have a sharp corners towards the rear of the dorsal fin. While the female has rounded corners and a reddish belly. Here's a picture of my Rams and I photoshopped it together to outline the differences between the male and female. I found looking at the dorsal fin to be most useful when selecting GBR's and the LFS when they are stressed and or real young, in which case the reddish belly of the female would be hard to find. :)

img_1488943_0_c6a6bb892265160a41ce84c9c6ff5bbd.jpg
[/IMG]

Brian_Nano12g said:
I posted this in another thread but here's something that might help...

from what I researched and in my experience, the males are more colorful and have a sharp corners towards the rear of the dorsal fin. While the female has rounded corners and a reddish belly. Here's a picture of my Rams and I photoshopped it together to outline the differences between the male and female. I found looking at the dorsal fin to be most useful when selecting GBR's and the LFS when they are stressed and or real young, in which case the reddish belly of the female would be hard to find. :)

[/IMG]

Thanks:) I still can't really tell. Maybe when they are more comfortable their characteristics will be stronger.

The only way to reliably sex blue rams is by looking at the black dot on their side. If it has blue spangles in it, then it's a female, if there are none in it, then it's a male.

The finnage, belly color, etc is an outdated method as both male and female rams have started to take on similar traits in the past few years. yay for inbreeding -_-.

From reading what everyones saying and judging by the pictures it would seem you have a male and two females. Seems like you got a good deal if you want to breed. They look awesome, wish my stores had these fish.

Back
Top Bottom