Ram egg help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I discovered that my gold rams laid eggs today. I'm not sure what to do with them, I want to keep them obviously but I can't leave them in the tank, other tank mates want to eat them. They are on a little flat rock. Should i catch the mom dad and eggs and put them jn a spare tank? or just the eggs with a bubbler near by? Any help is welcomed. Also can you tell me if the eggs are all good? I think they all look good. My experience is with mouthbrodering Africans. Also idk if this is weird behavior but when I noticed the golds were taking care of the eggs, but now my gbr male is over the best caring for the eggs like he was the parent and it looks like he hijacked the nest someone shine some light on the situation please!

image-306316288.jpg

Most of the eggs look good. I would remove the eggs and place it in a different tank. However, if the parents try to attack you, I think it's safe to leave the eggs

After re reading the original post, it seems like your male gbr and gold ram have partnered up. I would leave the eggs for a couple days then transfer the fry if it's needed

That's not uncommon for fish to assume responsibility for another pair of cichlids eggs, I've seen this occur dozens of times. I've had lone males scare off the original pair and raise the fry as his own. What you do with eggs is up to you.

You may be better off trying to hatch them artificially, most rams are not great parents and either eat the eggs or fail to guard fry once they hatch.

You may be better off trying to hatch them artificially, most rams are not great parents and either eat the eggs or fail to guard fry once they hatch.

How would you recommend that. I have moved both gold parents and eggs to a seperate tank but it seems that they have stopped caring for the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom