Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiseguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have been looking into some German Blue Rams for a twenty gallon tank. Would this tank be sufficient enough to keep a breeding pair?

IMO, yes. You can even put some tankmates in there with them if you want to, but that won't help the survival of the fry, I am just saying there would be space. :)

Yup, it's perfectly ample for a pair of rams. Breeding tanks should house only the pair though unless you are using a tank divider.

Just keep an eye on the female if the males intentions get to aggressive for her if she's not ready to spawn you may have to separate her for a bit till she's ready to breed. On many occasions I'd have a young couple pair up naturally and after many successful spawns the male would turn on the female and kill her. Always seemed to happen on days I worked funny how that works and it would be too late by than. Hasn't happened with every pair I've owned which I've breed hundreds in my time but enough for me to give you a heads up because it can happen. I wish you great success with them they are still one of my favorite dwarf cichlids to this day.

A 20g is plenty for a pair aswell as tank mates. Get a school of mid-top level fish like tetras and a bristle nose pleco. Cory cats may also be ok if you have enough places for them to hide to escape the rams.

A 20g is plenty for a pair aswell as tank mates. Get a school of mid-top level fish like tetras and a bristle nose pleco. Cory cats may also be ok if you have enough places for them to hide to escape the rams.

Aren't plecos and most cories too big for a 20G tank?

A bristle nose pleco would be fine, I'm not positive on cories as I don't know what all species there are and their sizes but I have panda cories and they stay small, they are in my 29g.

h2oskierc said:
Aren't plecos and most cories too big for a 20G tank?

Bristle noses should be fine. Check out albino bristle noses, really nice looking fish!

Shammrock said:
Bristle noses should be fine. Check out albino bristle noses, really nice looking fish!

They're not going to become 6-8 inches long overnight,, and maybe when they do become BIGGER , you might decide on a bigger tank!! Regardless, one or two isn't going to really take up that much space in your tank. They keep too themselves, and love to hide anyways!

Most BN plecos max out at 4-5" and the general rule of thumb for them is one per 20 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom