Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iryna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys does anybody has success with keeping Rams in hard water?
pH 8.2, KH 8, GH 14.
Thank you

Hi guys does anybody has success with keeping Rams in hard water?
pH 8.2, KH 8, GH 14.
Thank you

It can be done. Honestly stability of water parameters seems more important than specific numbers. However if you want a natural way to make your water more suitable for the rams just throw some peat into a fine mesh bag and put it in your filter. It traps GH increasing elements like calcium and magnesium thus lowering GH and KH. The best thing you can do when buying rams is to get them from a local breeder. They are more accustomed to your water supply and they tend to do significantly better than their farmed cousins.

Plus one to above - the ones I have are locally bred in tap water and have survived several house shifts. Fancy guppies on the other hand...

Thanks guys
I have couple local stores, unfortunately they all use RO systems. My aquarium is 20 gallons with two mollies and 4 Cory fish so far, I want to add few more fish but can’t decide which ones with my hard water not that many choices.

I've got three Bolivian Rams in a 55g. My tap water is pretty hard as well, but I've got a piece of driftwood in the tank. They're all happy, but stability is the most important part. Driftwood helps to lower the ph, makes it look natural, and you don't have to replace it like you would peat moss.

Hi, I also have 2 pieces of driftwood for 3 weeks now, but somehow it does not change my pH at all, how long does it take to notice any change in pH?

A while. Dead leaves can be used, as long as it's safe. Indian Almond leaves, and blackwater extract can also be used. It depends on if the dwiftwood was boiled before placing it in the tank as well. Boiling it removes the tannins.

Back
Top Bottom