Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank:
20 gallon high
2 male bolivian rams
3 corys
1 Otto

Heres the deal, I bought the two rams not knowing if they were male or female (i didnt really care i just wanted a pair)
Now that it has become apparent that they are both males, they have become territorial which isnt to big of a deal because they dont hurt each other but there is segregation
What I want to do is give one of the rams to my mom and get a Blue Ram

Im wondering if I add a blue ram am I going to have a worse problem then i have now with the two males creating teritorys, but not harming each other.

Im thinking i can pull this off because my tank is set up in a way that it is very easy to be split up into two territorys. what i mean by this is i have two pieces on opposite sides that create a comfy cave for the two rams to find refuge. One of the territorys is smaller then the other but it is in a calmer and and more shaded and the other is bigger but with faster moving water.

So the question is, would i be able to have one of my male bolivians live with Blue ram (possibly a female, if they are less territorial) along with the 3 corys and the Otto

I think that would work out. Of course the only way to tell is to try it out.

Personally, I would find the fight for territory between the 2 males somewhat interesting! Have you considered trading a male bolivian for a female?

It is quite interesting, it originally started out with the smaller male showing dominance over the larger male. The larger male then settled for the smaller territory. Now the roles have reversed except the territorys are still the same. The larger ram now protects his territory very firmly , and I also realized that the larger ram ended up with the better territory because it is in a calmer portion of the tank and the circulation brings all the food to his spot.

They are also very animated. When the two confront each other they will change their posture so that their tail is above their head, they also fully extend their fins, which makes the color really come out in them and they actually look their best at this time.

They try to fake each other out, they will jet forward at the other but stop real quick to try and scare the other away

They don't seem to hurt each other during these territory battles. They more or less just head but the other out of its territory.

I currently have 4 GBR's and 5 BR's co-existing in my 75 gal. I see aggression, but it appears to be of the playful variety. The Br's are still juvies ATM and I figure I have a couple more weeks until any real aggression (if any) begins.

My question is: Why break up a pair to go for an inside straight?

what do you mean by inside straight?

I just want to get a GBR and Im starting up a tank for my mom

When it comes to rams, females seem to have a pink spot on their belly and have shorter dorsal fins than males.

Back
Top Bottom