Rams and Shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpbirds407

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I am interested in getting one pair of Blue OR Gold Rams with some red shrimp. I am looking at a 6 gallon "Fluval Edge" tank. Would that be OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

To be honest, I wouldn't put 1 blue ram in a 6 gallon, let alone a pair into a 6 gallon tank. It's just too small. Even though they don't get huge, they still need a fair amount of space to swim around in. They also appreciate a well planted tank with lots of caves/etc to hide in! It's a great excuse to get creative with your plants and decorations! I would at least do a 29 gallon if you're wanting a pair. (Although Blue German Rams are typically much more docile than other cichlids, keep in mind if they breed they will become more aggressive) You will have much happier fish in a larger tank!:-D

As far as rams and shrimp go, I have a feeling that your red shrimp would eventually end up being a fancy dinner for the rams. ;) (For reference, I have my rams with angel fish, dwarf gourami, huge cherry barbs, lemon tetras, etc)

i agree... a 20 long is the smallest tank i would put a pair of rams in, and a 20 long will be ALOT cheaper than a fluval edge!!! The edge should have nothing but shrimp or a beta imo

MMMmmmmm... That changes my plans... I just love the look of the fluval edge. BUT having two tanks wouldn't be such a bad idea... :)

Ok. I will consider a bigger tank.

Thanks guys! I greatly appreciate your help!!!!!

Charlie

I was intrigued by the Edge too, but I think cleaning it would really suck.

You know, that is the same thing I was thinking. It looks terrible to clean, however I opened one up at the store and I stuck my hand in it and it is not as bad as it looks. ...until I have to actually do it.:D

Charlie

Fluval Edge

I have one of these tanks, and I don't find it that bad to clean. No worse really than any of my other tanks. The biggest problem that I have with it (other than how bloody expensive all of the accessories are for it) is that the opening at the top is so small that I can't put my hand/arm in without displacing a lot of water, so I always have to take out water and put it back when cleaning it.

Right now we have a beta, 3 African dwarf frogs and 6 or so ghost shrimp and it looks quite nice.

J

Back
Top Bottom