Rams digging in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm sitting here watching my fish and noticed one of my german blue rams pressing down in the sand and wiggling. Looks like she is trying to dig a hole. Is she searching for food or is this a sign that she could lay eggs??

Cichlids love to dig...they dig up my deco all the time...could be making a love shack. So to speak

So I'm sitting here watching my fish and noticed one of my german blue rams pressing down in the sand and wiggling. Looks like she is trying to dig a hole. Is she searching for food or is this a sign that she could lay eggs??

Rams are from the mikrogeographus family. Which literally means little earth eater...

Could mean either. They like to move the sand around but sometimes they are oddballs and lay in the sand. I've never heard of a successful spawn when the laid on the sand and not on a flat rock though.

Thanks for the replies! I'm fairly certain they aren't ready to breed. I've only had them in my tank about a week and a half. They are my favorite fish though. I love watching them!!

Glad you like them mikrogeophagus ramirezi and any apistogramma are my favorite fish. So unique and beautiful especially for their size. Post pictures in the "dwarf cichlids" thread.

Back
Top Bottom