Rasbora disappearance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402182878.729807.jpg
Posted for ones who ask lol.

Tank: 55 gallon standard
Inhabitants
6 guppies 2 males 4 females.
2 bolivian rams both male
4 amano shrimp
6 remaining harlequin rasboras.

Cycled no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate never above 40ppm(currently 15ppm)

Issue over the last 6 weeks i have lost 4 rasboras.

I have seen no outward signs of stress or injury, but when i do a daily count i have on occasion come up short in the morning. The only thing i can think of is one of the rams. Has anyone else had this issue with Bolivians? There is plenty of hiding spaces and i know i am not overstocked and each ram has its own 2 feet of foot print on the bottom as territory.

If it is the rams, what would be a replacement schooling fish? would a large schooling fish be a better bet? Something like danios or should i go with a tetra hoping geographic similarity would abate the issue?

Posted for ones who ask lol.

Tank: 55 gallon standard
Inhabitants
6 guppies 2 males 4 females.
2 bolivian rams both male
4 amano shrimp
6 remaining harlequin rasboras.

Cycled no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate never above 40ppm(currently 15ppm)

Issue over the last 6 weeks i have lost 4 rasboras.

I have seen no outward signs of stress or injury, but when i do a daily count i have on occasion come up short in the morning. The only thing i can think of is one of the rams. Has anyone else had this issue with Bolivians? There is plenty of hiding spaces and i know i am not overstocked and each ram has its own 2 feet of foot print on the bottom as territory.

If it is the rams, what would be a replacement schooling fish? would a large schooling fish be a better bet? Something like danios or should i go with a tetra hoping geographic similarity would abate the issue?

I've had 1/2 inch fry in with Bolivian Rams with no problem, i've never seen them go for anything except each other. However, if it turns out they're not 2 males and are a breeding pair they could kill rasbora that get near their breeding zone. Otherwise i would say maybe you have a bad batch that are dying for no apparent reason and are being nibbled away by the rest of the fish? Or, do you have openings at the top of the tank they could be jumping out of. They're pretty active.

The final possibility is a rogue ram, because you can always get psycho fish within any breed. I had a smallish female siamese fighter than caused havoc in one of my tanks and i wouldn't have expected it. Same with a Badis i once had.

It might be worth spending a little time watching the rams, if they look like they're paying an unhealthy interst in the rasbora you have your answer. I had to do that with the ones i mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom