Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read something that interested me.

Read in AFI magazine that Crayfish can do really well and hold there own in a Malawi tank. I like this. Anyone have any experience with them?

I know a place about 40 minutes from me that have a huge selection of them as well as other invertebrates. They also talked about Malawi crabs and the Malaysian needlepoint snail.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think they will do fine the the tank with the fish. The problem may be if you dont have a tight lid. They like to crawl out. I would have them if it wasnt for that.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I keep them in my 10g QT tank when I get bored. I go down to the creek and find one. They eat for me too.
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I have a glass canopy so I'm thinking maybe I'm gonna look into this. How much more bio load do will they produce? Are they considered a "clean up crew?"

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen mixed results at best. You'd need to get a species that does well in the rift lake water conditions. Any crays from much different water won't last long. The crays will predate if they can. Exposed sleeping fish, sick fish, fry, snails, etc. The fish may predate at moulting time too so the cray will need a defensible cave. As far as bioload goes, they are far less than their size would seem to show.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The electric blue crayfish, Will eat some stuff off the bottom but I wouldnt call it a clean up crew. The only real clean up crew in an african tank is a python.

Id love to have one of these but i would have to drill my tank..And that aint happenin
Electric Blue Crayfish - Procambarus alleni

also if you are worried about bioload, add some seachem matrix (not carbon) to your HOB. Or some old liverock to your sump. Makes a heckava good place for the good stuff to grow.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the input. I don't wanna out my fish in harms way. Sounds like it may be a bad idea to add such creatures to my tank when everything is going well. I feel like after reading your posts that why add something that may cause stress when it's not needed. I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have cray in my 38 gallon community tank and he ate my rubber lip pleco. Other then that he has been in the tank for 3 months and hasnt eaten any other fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com