Really Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

I recently got 2 Apistogramma Gibbiceps from an auction. These 2 were auctioned as a "pair" although now that they have settled into my 29, I'm not sold on it. I've seen some tail slapping from the presumed male to the presumed female. Is this a sign of love, or of hate?

Anybody know the sexual dimorphism of this particular fish?

I'd love some help ASAP as I would want to rehome my other fish if this is going to stress them to the point of death.

Thanks!

Also, is it only the female that builds a spawning cave? I've found my larger fish (presumed male) to be making a cave under my driftwood.

hellaasian said:
They are cave spawners

Correct, but I read that females guard that caves while the male guards the territory. I was just unsure on who builds the cave

Probably the males the lfs is going to take all my big fish so im going to use my 20 gallon long for nano fish

Not really might be agressive but my lfs has them theyre pretty cool im planning everything out before i buy anything i bought the big fish when i didnt really knoe anything about fish

hellaasian said:
Not really might be agressive but my lfs has them theyre pretty cool im planning everything out before i buy anything i bought the big fish when i didnt really knoe anything about fish

Yeah, I've done that plenty of times before :)

For an Apisto efficianados, here are my 2.

Sorry for the bad picture on the supposed male, my iPhone isn't always the greatest :(
As stated, Ive witnessed tail slapping from the supposed male on the supposed female followed by chasing. The supposed male has staked out a hole under my driftwood and patrols it constantly. Whenever the supposed male sees the supposed female, it almost always results in a chase. Please advise :(

picture.php

Supposed Male?

picture.php

Supposed Female?

Are they mature yet they way my goby spawn is the male follows the female and flares to get her attention

Are they mature yet they way my goby spawn is the male follows the female and flares to get her attention

I am unsure of the age of them. Got them from an auction so I had no idea who to ask for more details. I worry that the "female" is a juvenile male...

Also, got the suspected sub dominate male to a new tank. Hopefully it won't get bullied by my large Pencilfish.

I would just sit back and watch for a while, they will just take a bit to bond. I see the tail action on fish that have been paired for over a year, sometimes just the male or sometimes both will do it and the same for chasing. My female Panduro torments my male sometimes and other times he will chase, but I usually find the female is the feisty one. If you have not added any almonds leave yet, order yourself some - they work miracles for Apisto's and Rams. 1 large one is recommended for about 30g. Some people with have Apisto's breed within a few days or a week or so when adding them to a tank, personally it's always been over a month for my guys but I usually get them young.

Last edited:
Borderlesscott said:
I would just sit back and watch for a while, they will just take a bit to bond. I see the tail action on fish that have been paired for over a year, sometimes just the male or sometimes both will do it and the same for chasing. My female Panduro torments my male sometimes and other times he will chase, but I usually find the female is the feisty one. If you have not added any almonds leave yet, order yourself some - they work miracles for Apisto's and Rams. 1 large one is recommended for about 30g.

Can do. I'll order it right away.

For the time being though I separated them, seemed to escalating more than wanted. I'm gonna let her be in the 10 until she matures a little and I can tell for certain that it's a female :)

Back
Top Bottom