Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Recommendations for small to mid size New World Cichlid for centre piece

Hi, I'm looking recommendations for a small to mid sized South American or Central Americian Cichlid to finish my 63 gallon 240 litre Juwel Rio, fully cycled, over filtered, 2 heaters monitored by Seneye and API tests and i do weekly 30% water change, sometimes a 10-20% midweek change as well if fish are spawning. At present I have a pair of Apistogramma Panduro, Pair of German Ram, Pair of Red Breast Acara, 1 Male Bolivian Ram, 6 Lemon Tetra, 5 Cardinal Tetra, 3 Sterbai Cory. All get on together, feed together, never really any territorial disputes until breeding, but that always stops at a small chase, and I usually move a breeding pair to a 60 litre or 35 litre tank for spawning. I have loads of bogwood, rock caves, large Hairgrass, Vallisneria so loads of hiding spots
Do you think I'm fully stocked now or could I get one medium sized cichlid in, I was recommended a pair of Sajicas I while back, before I had the Acara's, Boliivian Ram and Cardinals but I think a got a rogue male as he was hyper aggressive to every tank mate and I had to take them both back, much to the astoundment of the store as they insisted they are usually peaceful enough. I would love a single female Sajica if possible, but worry with what happened - if anyone has different experience with Sajicas and dwarf cichlids I be very happy to hear. Another Cichlid I was looking into was a single Keyhole - again any advise on the above cichlids or other ones would be really appreciated.

I would also look into a non cichlid if anyone has an idea, previously told to get an elephant nose, but probably to big - I want the fish to able to stay in the tank when fully grown, don't like Angels.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

In my opinion, your Apistogramma Panduro already are your centerpiece.
I think your tank sounds great as is!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Or your Red Breasted Acara! Haha
Maybe get a Blue Acara?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Nevermind scratch the Blue Acara suggestion. Too big
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcoyle87 View Post
Or your Red Breasted Acara! Haha
Maybe get a Blue Acara?
Would love a Blue Acara, but have heard mixed reviews on aggression, I was actually looking at them in my LFS on Saturday - lovely looking fish, but agree probably too big.

Tags
cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com