Red Frontosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
Someone posted a picture on another site claiming that his frontosa was a "red frontosa".. I just wanted to see if any of the long time cichlid keepers had ever heard of it. I think it's totally insane. I have tons of books and read many sites.. None have EVER mentioned a red strain.
Please tell me I'm not misinformed. LoL

"Red Fronts" were line bred from a genetic color mutation expressed in brundi. They are not a naturally occurring color variant or a hybrid like many people think, however they are normally frowned upon by most serious Frontosa keepers. I've seen a large group of them before at a local fish store, they are pretty stunning.

Ive also seen them at my lfs a while back.

But there was nothing red about them.
Might of been because they were juveniles.

Ive also seen them at my lfs a while back.

But there was nothing red about them.
Might of been because they were juveniles.

Did they look like this. To me it looks stressed, low quality or poor diet.

Attachments

• image-2410691599.jpg
    image-2410691599.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 392
  • image-323349791.jpg
    image-323349791.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 130
All the so called red fronts I've seen look more dull brown than red, I've never seen a good looking specimen to be honest.

All the so called red fronts I've seen look more dull brown than red, I've never seen a good looking specimen to be honest.

Most are, the good looking ones are few and far between. I've only every seen a good looking group of them that one time about two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom