Reducing Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Back in my pond-keeping days, I had researched and set up a Nitrate filter by having the pump output into a reservoir that was filled with certain plants. Can something like this be done in an aquarium, say, in a sump filter (etc)?

You can just have fast growing stem plants or floating plants in the tank and they will suck up excess nitrates. You can put them in a sump but you'd need to light the sump.

Adding plants is just a band aide solution if your nitrates are to high, best to attack the root cause.

Back in my pond-keeping days, I had researched and set up a Nitrate filter by having the pump output into a reservoir that was filled with certain plants. Can something like this be done in an aquarium, say, in a sump filter (etc)?

Yes you can.

Here is one relevant thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/rate-my-plans-for-a-freshwater-sump-refugium-190647.html

And here is a pic of one set-up.
8g tank & 10g sump/fuge - 10g w/ 9g of water @36gph Marineland Penguin 660 170gph PH Drilled main tank (~8g) Info here Aquarium Advice Gallery

Back
Top Bottom