Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Does anyone think a reef grade light will look good on a Malawi tank? My tank is 4 feet long and 20 inches tall. I wonder if it will be too bright? I am currently using a Aquatic Life 48 inch duel T5 light, 54 watts x2, with a 10.000k and 420-460 actinic bulbs, I was going to buy a 36 inch Marineland Reef Grade led light.
Any comments would be great.
Cheers-Dennis.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish don't really care from what I know. They will look super cool in that lighting, but I don't think that it will damage it in any way. It will cause algae though. You should put it on a timer so its on only during viewing times

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA

I'd stick with what you've got. More light means the potential for algae problems... and fish don't care what kind of light you have.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

I also have a UV sterilizer running on my tank so algae is not really a problem. I do get some but not bad

Anyone else using reef LEDs on a Malawi tank?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I ran pretty much the same thing you're currently running when I had mine going. Just tore it down though.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a sterilizer it takes the algae out of the water column, not the surfaces. It is for cloudiness.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
With a sterilizer it takes the algae out of the water column, not the surfaces. It is for cloudiness.
You are right, but a uv sterilizer is dependent on the water flow through it to determine what it will do best. If your water flow through the uv sterilizer is low (about 50-80 gph) your sterilizer will kill pathogens best, if your water flow through the uv sterilizer is medium (about 120gph) your sterilizer is going to keep algae out of your water column best. If your water flow through the uv sterilizer is high (about 200 gph) your sterilizer will kill bacteria best.
The gph figures above are from my uv sterilizer. It is a CoralLife Turbo Twist 3X.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the same rig as your current one at the moment. Im pleased with it but I too would like to see and led on it instead
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618
I have the same rig as your current one at the moment. Im pleased with it but I too would like to see and led on it instead
Hi. Mine keeps my water crystal clear. I run mine off my ehiem 2113 canister. It puts out 116 gph. Easy to hook up. 

Tags
african, african cichlid, cichlid, ich, led, light, lights, reef, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com