Reef to Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 90 gallon reef tank with about a 20 gallon sump. I had a custom cabinet and hood made for the tank. It was supposed to be my “showpiece”
I never used RO water so I have a lot of algae issues.
I’m newly pregnant so I’d like to have a tank that requires less maintenance and MONEY!!

Can I have cichlids, specifically mbuna, with a sump?
Can I use my reef rock (washed of course)?
What type of lighting? I currently have leds that will support corals (ocean revive)

This is all a thought right now.... I love the colors of the cichlids, just hoping for a little less maintenance and spending money on corals.

Any help?

I currently have a 150g that I bought used, the guy was running a sump system on it and had lots of African cichlids. So I don't see that being an issue. If your gonna stick to African cichlids, then they like hard water anyway, so the coral shouldn't be an issue, but for new world cichlids or tropical fish it'll cause your water hardness and ph to be too high

I have crushed coral substrate in one of my African tanks. I'm not familiar with that type of marine light, or any marine light, lol, so I'm not sure if something with it would be an issue. I would think it's OK tho

I have crushed coral substrate in one of my African tanks. I'm not familiar with that type of marine light, or any marine light, lol, so I'm not sure if something with it would be an issue. I would think it's OK tho

Thanks! For the light, I mean do they need a certain “wattage” I could possibly sell the lights I have now and get something less powerful.

How many/much water changes do you do? How often?

I have 30 peacocks and haps in a 100g. For that tank I run 3 canister filters and do weekly 30% changes. Sometimes when I'm monitoring the parameters, i might have to do 2 per week. I have a regular 48" led light on mine. It's pretty bright. They don't seem to mind. You could try it and see how they react/ stress and decide later if you wanna change it or not

I have a 25g with the coral substrate that houses only 2 small julidochromis transcriptus gombe, so I don't anticipate having to change water that frequently in there. I have a 25g hex with one cobalt blue zebra mbuna and I do monthly 25% in that one. The zebra was too territorial for the 100g and I had to move him. He's happy as a clam by himself now, lol

Back
Top Bottom