Requesting specific sex at pet store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I go to a pet store chain to buy some fish, do the employees generally know the sex of different fish if I want females? Or are they clueless?!!

I have a buy 1 get 1 free fish coupon with unlimited so I can buy 8 and get 8 free.

That depends on the breeds you're looking for. Things like livebearers and other species that have obvious sex characteristics (different coloration, finnage, etc) are pretty easy to tell apart and most employees should know the difference. But many types of fish have nearly identical males and females, or sex characteristics are only apparent when they are preparing to spawn, and sometimes it takes an expert to really tell them apart even then. Best of luck!

CraigMac said:
If I go to a pet store chain to buy some fish, do the employees generally know the sex of different fish if I want females? Or are they clueless?!!

I have a buy 1 get 1 free fish coupon with unlimited so I can buy 8 and get 8 free.

I would say most have no idea. It depends on what type of fish though. I wouldn't add 16 fish at one time though, that will throw you parameters out of whack.

Good point about adding too many fish at once. I've been taking it slow and only have 6 africans so far in my 90 but I want to start increasing. Is 6 or 8 too many at once? Should I only do 4 or even 2 at a time?

Thanks.

CraigMac said:
Good point about adding too many fish at once. I've been taking it slow and only have 6 africans so far in my 90 but I want to start increasing. Is 6 or 8 too many at once? Should I only do 4 or even 2 at a time?

Thanks.

Just 6 Africans and nothing else? How long has the tank been up? Has it been cycled properly? I would say no more than 6-8 juvies at a time. Also I do a pwc 2 and 5 days after adding a group of new fish. That's just me though. Im kinda anal about my water.

Yeah, just 6 Africans and nothing else yet. I cycled the tank and had if tested before getting the 6 and have done a couple water changes an re-test since. All good. Had if set up for a couple weeks now and want to build up my stock. I want to add more Africans and a catfish maybe a rainbow shark.

CraigMac said:
Yeah, just 6 Africans and nothing else yet. I cycled the tank and had if tested before getting the 6 and have done a couple water changes an re-test since. All good. Had if set up for a couple weeks now and want to build up my stock. I want to add more Africans and a catfish maybe a rainbow shark.

I would add 3 of 4 synodintis. I have 8 petricola. They are awesome.

I respectfully disagree...I think you should add them all at once. I totally agree it will be an impact load on your bio filter. It wont cause a crash though if ALL the fish are small. You will have to test your water daily for the first week. Be ready to do a 25% per day change. Just prime and water. The reason for this suggestion is I would rather put in all the fish at once then add slow to an African tank. You really run the risk of the new additions getting killed. Africans have a pack mentality and a pecking order. If you put 2 fish in an established tank they will most likely get hunted and killed. This is extra bad because your other fish then get to expierence the thrill of the hunt. If it were me I would get as close to my final stock as I could in one fell swoop. I would pull all my deco out. Net all the fish and put them in a bucket with thier same water in it and an airstone. Add new fish to the bucket. Use this chance to really clean your sand or gravel and stir your sand. Fix any airstone issues you have. Put your deco back in and change it up. Especially locations of large caves. Give them about an hour in the bucket. A little longer wont hurt, just keep the airstone in it. Then add your fish back to the new enviroment. They will be reset, new terrortorys will have to be claimed and the order will have to be redone. You will see a spike in ammo, so if you see .25 do a pwc with prime. Also I would cover the tank and keep the lights out for at least 24 hrs. It will keep aggression lower as for the sexing part, you can look up venting on google. When your adding them back from the bucket it will be a perfect time to vent them. Also try to keep similar sizes of fish. Lets see what else......Oh not to many different types of malawis. 3-4 different types is it. Good luck!!!

The staff should be able to sex the fish for you. If they cannot, find yourself a better lfs.

They said chain store, not LFS, i dont consider chains a fish store. chain stores usually dont know squat about the fish they are selling. i went in a chain store and they told me that an oscar would be fine in with african peacocks lol.

I agree w medic. I have always added 6-8 at a time but it has been adding juvies to more juvies for the most part. So I've never had much of an aggression problem. Like he said, if you add all at once keep an eye on your parameters and be ready to do water changes.

They said chain store, not LFS, i dont consider chains a fish store.

The reference "LFS" has included chain stores as long as I've been visiting forums and had tanks. Many people aren't lucky enough to have a specialized fish-only store near them.

Back
Top Bottom