Reworking my 90g Geo tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just came back home from a one year study trip and found my tank is kind of a mess. Decided to rework the tank all together. Facing quite a few problems though. The tank still has 5 Geophagus tapajos, 3 cories, 20 Lemon tetra, 3 Emperor tetra, and tons of bristlenose pleco of different sizes (apparently they breed in the tank, and my parent never think they should stop them from breeding. Going to give most of them away, and remove their cave. I just don't have the place for those extra bioload).

1. Planning to change the whole substrate, as my parents never vacuum the existing sand bottom. I am afraid if I vacuum it now, the trapped gas will kill my remaining fish. Debating whether I should use 1) ADA soil capped with sand, 2) dividing the tank to area with only dirt and area with only sand or 3) sand with base fertilizer. I really want to try planting some large swords, but the Geo's sand shifting behavior is causing problem here. If I use sand+base fertilizer, I risk getting nitrate spike if the geo digs deep enough. Option 1 and 2 seems more possible, but I am not sure if Geo works with soil. Anyone have tried putting Geo in planted tanks? What substrate did you use? How thick it is?

2. Two of my Geo shows signs of internal parasite. I have Octozin at hand but I am not sure if I should treat the whole tank or just the 2 sick fish. The other fish seems healthy enough. (The dominant pair actually spawns 2 days ago, though their eggs disappear today, and I don't see any sign of mouth breeding. Guess it's typical in a community tank)

3. Going to change my filter system as well. Currently using overhead sump filter, but it's a bit noisy. Going to change to 2 Eheim 2217. Never use dual filter before though, so I am wondering how I should arrange their intake and output.

If you were able to remove all the fish to several plastic totes, remove all the decorations and plants and do a long days vacuuming on the substrate. Get the water back in and at a non toxic level might take a bit of time and some water changing, but I think you would be at a better point.

Be sure to check how far apart the differences on your tank and the new/tap water you would be putting in.

Old tank syndrome is a very dangerous concern for the fish well being.

Check GH/KH TDS - pH of course and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate

If there were to be significant differences for the fish being removed vs. what the new water parameters are there would very likely be much death. So maybe take some time to do small pwc on the other fish tubs throughout the day.

Maybe ahead of the fish tank vacuuming day, you could start getting the water refreshed for a week or 2 a small percent every day or couple times per day to get the water refreshed. And the fish used to the "cleaner" water.

Alternatively you could just do +/- 1/8th of the substrate every couple days vacc'ing. After the first day do a test to see where you are at in toxins if it's too high just do a little less.

You get the idea - some sort of strategy, to ease the fish and substrate into the clean zone again. Gradually.

Really think you'd be better off in the long run.

Having a really successful breeding colony of BN is a nice thing, (not necessarily for your tank but) perhaps a local to you breeder would be interested in the whole group!

Interested to hear which direction you end up taking and how it goes. Pics would be great too, before, during the process and after!

Your sand shouldn't be such a mess because your geos are constantly sifting it. You should try adding a powerhead so there are no dead spots and your filter picks up the detritus. Geos do a lot of digging, and I think that adding soil beneath a cap of sand will not work. Regarding plants, I have my geo tank extensively planted with anubias tied to driftwood. I have different species of anubias, and some of them are huge. I use plastic coated plant tie wire from the Home Depot garden department.

If you switch to Eheim canisters, I highly recommend that you add an Eheim air diffusor to one of them. https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-di...son+Shopping&gclid=CM2OtrmC288CFY1bhgodIOwOAA
It is the best $8 that you can spend.

Back
Top Bottom