right size for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I gave in and moved all the fish from my 10 gal into my 20 high cause I got anxious...lol...so now I have a 10 that's ready for fish. Could I put a couple of cichlids in there or would that be torture? Are there dwarfs that don't grow so big? I just love their colors! I was also thinking of putting some goldfish in the 10...maybe red caps.

Dwarf cichlids

Yes, there are quite a few dwarf cichlids to choose from and your 10 is just right for them. Check out any of the genera Apistogramma. For a really bright and beautiful little fish, check out the Ram also known as Microgeophagus ramirezi. If you might be interested in an African cichlid, there are genera Lamprologus and Julidichromis from Lake Tanganyika. If you're more into the Lake Malawi variety, check in to the Pseudotropheus and Labidichromis. These are all in the 2-3 inch range and will even breed in the 10 gal. Many of them are very colorful and a delight to keep.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom