RIP pleco :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critter1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning to find just the head of my common Pleco left lol idk what got into my jack but for the past 4 months they have been fine together. I guess she just had enough of his crap!

Yes that sucks but get used to it, that's one of the downsides of housing somewhat aggressive fish in a glass box.

Yea I know, I was waiting for it to happen anyway! Now what should I do for a bottom/algae eater??

Critter1990 said:
Yea I know, I was waiting for it to happen anyway! Now what should I do for a bottom/algae eater??

How about one of these? At least it won't be killed, if he's already killed one chances of another working is slim.

Attachments

• image-1891781264.jpg
    image-1891781264.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
HUKIT said:
How about one of these? At least it won't be killed.

Aren't they aggressive though?

You can get a Synodontis but nothing is set in stone so I've learned. Every tank is different, every tank personality is different and you should know what will work and what won't.

Last edited:
Hahaha I already have one of them. I've always wanted a tiger Oscar. ?

Lol that was a good one. It's a 55g but very spacious and open

I hear you. I have an ac110 with 2 AC50s so I'm good in that department. I've seen very healthy oscars before in a 55g.

Critter1990 said:
I hear you. I have an ac110 with 2 AC50s so I'm good in that department. I've seen very healthy oscars before in a 55g.

I'll let HUKIT touch more on that. He knows a lot more then I do lol. He's helped me out more then few times. And sometimes he doesn't even know it. Just read he's posts and you'll have a wealth of knowledge. But I think a 55 would be too small IMO. They may "look" healthy but are they really? And are they happy? I guess either way you look at it there in a fish tank and not out in the wild but ya try and get as close as you can to give them what they need to thrive.

Yea your right, I'm just always trying to do something new with the tank lol

Lol that was a good one. It's a 55g but very spacious and open

If your looking for tank mates then the Oscar would be fine for a few months but long term it's not a good choice. I'd look at something that stays in the 4-6" range and can handle a aggressive JD. Something in the archocentrus, cryptoheros, or thorichthys genus would a good starting point.

Please don't get an Oscar IMO the minimum is a 75 gallon with 1-2 small tankmates but for a jack and Oscar I would go with no less than a 6 foot 125 gallon. For your tank now I would just get a con makes great jack Dempsey tankmate at least for me it did.

Yah I would say go for it get like a 3 inches or so and mix up your decorations a bit and you should be perfectly fine.

Where would I be able to get one that's already that much grown?

Well most lfs's carry ones like that size even 1.5 inch should do ok.

You dont think the jack would eat it lol?

Yes I do, if it killed a pleco who was not challenging what do you think he's do to a small dempsey. There are some fish that refuse tankmates, I have one. Plus a 55g does not really offer enough of a retreat to get away from aggressive cichlid. I would look into something like a Amatitlania nigrofasciata, they are fiesty, stay relatively small, and can handle themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom