Rivulatus/ Green Terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought that a rivulatus was another name for green terror? I just over heard at the local aquarium store a staff member telling a buyer that they were 2 different fish..... ?I get so confused..

The Aequidens Rivulatus is the true Green Terror. These are hard to get hold of and are actually quite dull coloured. The ones that most people have although sold as Aequidens Rivulatus are actually Gold Saum. These are more brightly coloured.

The Aequidens Rivulatus is the true Green Terror. These are hard to get hold of and are actually quite dull coloured. The ones that most people have although sold as Aequidens Rivulatus are actually Gold Saum. These are more brightly coloured.

That's actually incorrect, the true green terror is Andinoacara stalsbergi which are quite rare due to limited importing. The common fish sold in stores are Andinoacara sp. gold saum or even silver saum occasionally. Andinoacara rivulatus is just another fish in the same genus but is by no means the true green terror, they are uncommon as well and your correct they are much duller that silver or gold saums.

This is one of many reasons why I don't use common names when describing or identifying fish, since they are so many fish using the same common names.

Last edited:
That's actually incorrect, the true green terror is Andinoacara stalsbergi which are quite rare due to limited importing. The common fish sold in stores are Andinoacara sp. gold saum or even silver saum occasionally. Andinoacara rivulatus is just another fish in the same genus but is by no means the true green terror, they are uncommon as well are your correct they are much duller that silver or gold saums.

This is one of many reasons why I don't use common names when describing or identifying fish, since they are so many fish using the same common names.

Thank for clarifying. no wonder I was getting so confused. Still trying to get my head wrapped around the scientific names... It doesn't make it any easier to help getting to know what is what when the local store labels have some under common names and others in their scientific names ?

Back
Top Bottom