Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rock to sand

If i were to switch my gravel to sand do I need to buy a certain type of sand or could I just go to a hardware store and buy any kind?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've heard pool filter sand is a good choice. I've seen it at home depot in the garden section for about $5. Very cheap!!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #3

Coo thanks I'll look into it
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I suggest you look into a Live Aragonite Reef Sand, rather than pool filter sand. It usually comes in sugar sized grains and looks nice in appearance. It's a little bit more expensive than Pool Filter Sand, but worth it.

Petsmart and Drs Foster and Smith carry it.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love my black beauty blasting sand. So do my fish. 6 bucks for 50 lbs.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm a huge fan of black blasting sand too. Had it for quite some time and no probs and fish love it!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #7

It doesn't hurt the fish when they dig in it I heard it can?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine's been in at least over a yr and I've had no problems.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some say its sharp but it seems like regular sand to me. My dudes scoop and spit it all day every day no issues. It does a vigorous washing before its added though. That is really the only down side. When you wash it a rainbow film rises to the top of the bucket. Just take it in small batches and use a lot of water and agitation. Cleans up just fine
Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess it depends on who you ask.... Pet stores don't want ppl using play sand, pool sand or rocks etc from lakes and creeks etc bc they want $ same with treating fish with meds etc. but that's why we're all here to seek and explore and learn. Which is great. As with anything.... Nothing is ever a guarantee.... But I love my blasting sand and it really makes the colors in my tank POP. And my fish dig and move sand all the time.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmedic25
Some say its sharp but it seems like regular sand to me. My dudes scoop and spit it all day every day no issues. It does a vigorous washing before its added though. That is really the only down side. When you wash it a rainbow film rises to the top of the bucket. Just take it in small batches and use a lot of water and agitation. Cleans up just fine
Once I started I then used warmer and warmer water.... It cleaned quicker the warmer it got
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im in the process of switching my tanks from gravel to Black Diamond Blasting Sand...4 done already and I love it as much as they do! 5 to go, its a lot of work (need to make sure its washed very well) but definately worth it, imo
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #13

Awesome thanks guys
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbaker79
Im in the process of switching my tanks from gravel to Black Diamond Blasting Sand...4 done already and I love it as much as they do! 5 to go, its a lot of work (need to make sure its washed very well) but definately worth it, imo
What is the best way to do the switch? Did you remove the fishes? I'm going to switch my 60 from gravel to PFS as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have the ability to take the fish out it is a little safer that way. Especially if you can keep them out for a day. The best way to put sand in a tank already with water is to use a piece of PVC pipe and funnel. If you just dump it in you will have a really cloudy tank. Don't forget to leave your filters off for at least an hour after the switch.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was able to leave my fish in. I just drained like 75% and gently scooped the gravel out. Then I gently added the sand. I had to run filter floss for a few hours after to clear the water up. All in all took me about 3 hours to remove 80lbs of gravel and put in about 8- lbs of sand. Washing the sand in hot water is an awesome idea. I used my garden hose and a big plastic tub. Its a messy PITA but worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmedic25
I was able to leave my fish in. I just drained like 75% and gently scooped the gravel out. Then I gently added the sand. I had to run filter floss for a few hours after to clear the water up. All in all took me about 3 hours to remove 80lbs of gravel and put in about 8- lbs of sand. Washing the sand in hot water is an awesome idea. I used my garden hose and a big plastic tub. Its a messy PITA but worth it.
How do you run a filter floss? I have an AC70 and a Marineland Penguin 350. How would I run filter flosses on these filters?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just cut a piece thats the same size as the fliter cartridge on either of your filters. But it in front of the cartridge for a few hours it will grab all the very fine stuff thats making your water cloudy. With both of your filters I would let the water settle for a few hours before I fired the filters up. Just to make sure all the big sand was settled. It can really damage your filter motors.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall

What is the best way to do the switch? Did you remove the fishes? I'm going to switch my 60 from gravel to PFS as well.
I was lucky enough to have a set up, but empty 55 gallon, so I just moved them and their decor into that one for a day while I switched their tank out, and so on...let the sand settle for awhile before turning the filter back on
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

If you clean your sand properly there will be no cloudiness.

Tags
rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com