Rocks in a cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigtay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an question?I have had a pair of oscars for about 9 months and i just sold them yesterday. The setup i had in it was plane because i wanted the oscars to have plenty of swimming room. On that note, I'm really interested in African cichlid, I want to get about 10 to 12 of them. I also want to have alot of rocks in my tank to give it a natural feel. I have seen sum perfect rocks outside of my job that would look great in them,my question is may I use them in my tank and if so what is the best way to clean them. I know I can test them with vinegar and I have heard alot of answers to my question,but thought I would get yall opinion,thanks and hope to hear sumthin soon.

I had some old rocks that someone in my family had used for a pond garden. It was approximately 5 rocks 4" thick and 6" to 8" long. I pressure washed them first. Then, in a large stock pot, boiled them for 30 minutes. Laying them out on a table, I let them cool. I had no problems at all.

I was also told to perform a vinegar test on the rock. Pour some on and if it don't foam, it should be good to put in. I tried a it and all was good. On the other hand, you may want to verify if the vinegar test is accurate.

Hope this helps.

I've heard (not actually seen) that boiling rocks is a very bad idea. I got mine from another member on here from the creek behind his house. I scrubbed them real good and soaked them for a few days. This is what my tank looks like.

img_1210642_0_ccac68c82a9656b1e0c30c293c6a6c22.jpg

I've heard (not actually seen) that boiling rocks is a very bad idea. I got mine from another member on here from the creek behind his house. I scrubbed them real good and soaked them for a few days. This is what my tank looks like.

img_1210714_0_ccac68c82a9656b1e0c30c293c6a6c22.jpg

Very nice,

I took all my rocks and ran them through my dish washer with extreme hot temprature. Work out very well. Oh and a 1/4 cup of bleach.

I have an question?I have had a pair of oscars for about 9 months and i just sold them yesterday. The setup i had in it was plane because i wanted the oscars to have plenty of swimming room. On that note, I'm really interested in African cichlid, I want to get about 10 to 12 of them. I also want to have alot of rocks in my tank to give it a natural feel. I have seen sum perfect rocks outside of my job that would look great in them,my question is may I use them in my tank and if so what is the best way to clean them. I know I can test them with vinegar and I have heard alot of answers to my question,but thought I would get yall opinion,thanks and hope to hear sumthin soon.

How big is your tank? I love African Cichlids and cant wait to get a bigger tank for mine. I want to find some slate stones to do mine. I heard some say to wash in 10% bleach water, rinse a few times and i would let them dry in the sun.

I wanna thank y'all for your opinion,i bought me sum flat stones from a gravel place for an dollar, i scrub the rocks with an brush to get the dirt off and thru them in the dishwasher,they came out good and my new African cichlids love em,thanks again

I have a 55 gallon tank and right now I have eight baby African cichlids in it, think ima buy five more and that's all ima put in it, I loved my oscars but I think I love these African cichlid better because they remind me of saltwater fish

:uzi::uzi:Thought I would show you my guy's. I mixed it up with some limestone flat rock to keep up the hardness in the water.. The center pieace is a coral look alike from Petsmart. Then on the right I put in drift wood for good cover. The substrate is sand made by sea carib, made for Cichlids. The sand keeps the ph around 8.

I take it that some of you are new to Cichlids, Remember that filtration is a must. fyi

Attachments

• DSC00372.jpg
    DSC00372.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00374.jpg
    DSC00374.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00402.jpg
    DSC00402.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 140
You could boil them and bleach them to you could stack them for the forms you want

Thanx, that was easy, but This is my tank and fish

Attachments

• image-446529323.png
    image-446529323.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 173
  • image-596344081.png
    image-596344081.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-3764946528.jpg
    image-3764946528.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3738615213.jpg