SA cichlids to discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have a 75 gallon tank with sA cichlids and I have been looking at discus tank setups...and I've fallen in love with discus!!;) do u guys think I should switch to discus? I would also like to do sand substrate instead of gravel?? Any ideas?

I guess this is just a personal preference. I have nothing bad to say about discus and I've never tried keeping them. From what I've read they are more sensitive than other SA cichlids and they will limit tankmates. If discus is the main species you are interested in and you don't care as much about tankmates, than why not?

If you aren't aware, tropical fish magazine has a good discus Q/A column with a highly-touted discus breeder.

Discus are a bit sensative, i used to work at a fish shop and we had a 125gal with sand substrate and a handful of discus with some small angels and blue rams. And also a freshwater stingray. Stunning display!
The maitainence is a bit higher for them and ive read they prefer warmer water than other cichlids. If you have the time and money i would say go for it! I wish i could afford them they can get expensive dependent on where you buy
Them

Jacobsal91 said:
Discus are a bit sensative, i used to work at a fish shop and we had a 125gal with sand substrate and a handful of discus with some small angels and blue rams. And also a freshwater stingray. Stunning display!
The maitainence is a bit higher for them and ive read they prefer warmer water than other cichlids. If you have the time and money i would say go for it! I wish i could afford them they can get expensive dependent on where you buy
Them

I've read that angels r iffy with discus...any ideas? Also rams r ok?

Well angels are on the aggresive side at times, At the store i worked at it was done in a large tank, The angels were small, the doscus were large. And i only know of blue and gold rams
Working ok but thats a definant. Im not sure about bolivian or balloon rams. Basically i would start with only discus and a pleco or something of that nature, then once you think you got it down shoot for rams and angels

If your Going to do discus make them the main fish of the tank at first, they'll need 84ish water (F) and you want them to be confertable in the tank before you add any other fish! they're absolutely beautiful and amazing fish! Just make sure you buy them from a good source, the most important thing is to get your discus healthy from the start!

Goodluck!

Discus are SA cichlids.

I am guessing that your current stocklist is too "boisterous" for them, hence your distinction. Rams typically make good tankmates for them. I would avoid balloon ANYTHING like the plague- these are fish that are bred to be deformed. Fish farms/wholesale facilities breed to exaggerate and perpetuate this deformity, and essentially use the opportunity to charge a premium for breeding culls. You'll want to choose peaceful, passive fish that can handle the warm temps that discus like. I've kept angelfish with discus before, and for me it didn't work out in the long term. Some people report success, but you should definitely have someplace you can move angels to if the need arises.

One thing about discus that I cannot stress enough, is to start with good quality fish. They are worth the extra money and will save you stress and heartache down the road. Most of the discus you see at the lfs are poorly bred and already stunted before you even get them home. It would really be best IMO to source a good breeder if you want nice fish.

Thanks for all the advise!!! Rite now I have light blue gravel...;( and I like the more natural look and I kinda like the idea of sand.., what should I do?? What color of sand/ gravel make the discuses colors stand out more??

I am not a discus expert, but I have been told that black gravel and black backgrounds will cause the discus to darken, and encourage peppering in pigeon bloods and strains that have pigeon blood in them.

The discus keepers I have talked to use light substrate and background. Like I mentioned, I am far from an expert on the subject though.

Could I have sand in this tank with the 2 filters I have now?? Their bio-wheel power filters, penguin 350's...

And I can't seeem to find any lighter tan sand...will like a white/pale sand work??

Back
Top Bottom