salt to a cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jac1860

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had someone just tell me that I needed to add salt to my 65 gal cichlid tank. What the heck? I had never done that before. Is this something I need to look at and why?

I had someone just tell me that I needed to add salt to my 65 gal cichlid tank. What the heck? I had never done that before. Is this something I need to look at and why?

Some people use "cichlid salt" some don't. Some use kosher salt some don't. MOST use salt only when treating for an illness.

I use that api aquarium salt I put 1 teaspoon a week with water change for the fish gill function I was reading it helps

I use that api aquarium salt I put 1 teaspoon a week with water change for the fish gill function I was reading it helps

The claim that aquarium salt helps gill function refers to osmoregulation - however the only evidence found that supports that is the fact that a small amount of sodium chloride can help block the uptake of nitrite. Otherwise, this claim (like many others about salt) has very little evidence to back it up.

I've heard kosher salt brought up - just for clarification, to make sure there is no misunderstanding, kosher salt alone will not do the same thing as premade cichlid salts. Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, just like aquarium salt, and the composition of cichlid salt supplements involves a whole lot more than just NaCI. You can make your own cichlid salt, though, using sodium chloride and other ingredients, following this recipe. Not that con was saying they were the same - I was just saying this to clear up any potential confusion :)

The claim that aquarium salt helps gill function refers to osmoregulation - however the only evidence found that supports that is the fact that a small amount of sodium chloride can help block the uptake of nitrite. Otherwise, this claim (like many others about salt) has very little evidence to back it up.

I've heard kosher salt brought up - just for clarification, to make sure there is no misunderstanding, kosher salt alone will not do the same thing as premade cichlid salts. Kosher salt is pure sodium chloride, just like aquarium salt, and the composition of cichlid salt supplements involves a whole lot more than just NaCI. You can make your own cichlid salt, though, using sodium chloride and other ingredients, following this recipe. Not that con was saying they were the same - I was just saying this to clear up any potential confusion :)

Your correct. I brought up kosher salt in the event of treating the tank for certain things. I haven't used salt (cichlid salt) in forever. Everyone seems fine. But I do hear/read that it does help, just not buying it fully yet.

WOW. Now I'm totally confused. I had a cichlid tank back in the 80's and never used salt then. I didn't think I would need to now. Everyone seems to be doing fine. Kinda hat to rock the boat if y'all know wot I mean...

How long have you had these cichlids for. Most time you will only need to worry about buffering your water with salt is in case you have wild caught fish. Most breeders do not use it and your fish are more than likely acclimated to plain Jane water.

I have some friends who swear by salt in there cichlid tanks. I have used regular aquarium salt for long periods of time to experiment a little and I did not really see a difference in my cichlid tank. I don't use it anymore but it didn't hurt anything when I did use it.

So what I'm reading here is it doesn't matter if I add salt or not. I feel my guys (cichlids) are doing ok without the salt. HOWEVER if they need it to be healthy by all means I'll use salt...

So what I'm reading here is it doesn't matter if I add salt or not. I feel my guys (cichlids) are doing ok without the salt. HOWEVER if they need it to be healthy by all means I'll use salt...

What they are saying is your fine not using it if they are anything after a f0 cichlid. In the wild there is some salt along with many many many other things in lake Malawi. You'll never be able to make water quality match their natural habitat completely. Most places online including local fish stores just have a neutral ph and no added salts or minerals. I have noticed over time a lot of online retailers will tell you on their page their ph and what not. I use to use salts and stopped. It seemed at first it was helping flashing but now they act normal since I stopped so Idk. If it was me I'd spend the money on a new fish or filter

The first time I used salt and still do is because of my friend. The first time without salt my water was more foggy when I went on a visit to my friends house he had clear water but was different than my. So I asked him what he did with the water. He told me he ad salt. What was beneficial for the fish too. And clear water. When I turn to salt I saw the different between just plain water or adding a little salt. That is for me the hole reason why I use it. Do I see the differents between salt or no salt and the collar of the fish no. I did not see a metafor in collar by useing salt. Some people say they do well I doin,t lol

That was a factor too what was years ago when I just started out. Was just saying that I saw a slight different between salt or not using salt it's not a must.

That was a factor too what was years ago when I just started out. Was just saying that I saw a slight different between salt or not using salt it's not a must.

Agreed to be honest salt for African Rift lake Cichlids is an expense that can be done without.Ive never used it.Now I've gone over to SA/CA fish I never will either!!!

Back
Top Bottom