Salt with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donna541

Aquarium Advice Activist
In the tank are yellow labs, blue frier and a red tailed shark, do any of u even add salt to ur cichlid tanks ?? If so how much ?? Thanks

I use the API salt once a week in my tanks. I use like a half handful. Depends on ur tank size.

aquarium salt is completely unnecessary in any tank. it serves a purpose as a cure for some diseases, but IMO should not be used on a regular basis.

mfdrookie516 said:
aquarium salt is completely unnecessary in any tank. it serves a purpose as a cure for some diseases, but IMO should not be used on a regular basis.

True. But my LFS guy told us to do it just to keep the sand bed cleaner. Idk that's just what I have followed since.

Your LFS guy lied to you. Salt, in no way, is going to keep your tank clean. PWC's and gravel vacs will. There's absolutely no logic to that IMO. I've never once added salt to my tanks except for treating a disease. Never will either. There are actually many people who will say that using salt regularly has negative side effects on the fish... like kidney failure... and can cause some strains of ich to become immune to salt.

Boost you KH aroud 120 it will stock your ph beween 7.8 to 8.2

For their Pleasure and coloration boost GH between 120-180 or even more.

Their is multiple product to do it but that is your choice there!

You want to add salt to make it brackish for your bbg, correct?

Brackwarer!!!!

I said lots of KH and GH and i did not speak of salt use in saltwater to have a complete range of minerals!!

African lake are very hardwater as they come from ocean water stock there by techtonic plate movement that happen in old days!!

So water is very hard in malawi, kh around 100 and up and GH is always 120 and up to 180. Look any real good source and you wont disagree on that!

In taganika, its evem more on alkaline, it goes from 8.2 to 9 on PH and its from alkaline carbonate, bicarbonate, chlorate, phosphate and much more!! Gh up to 200!!

Its not saltwater but hardwater.

Brackwater is a mix of freshwater and saltwater in big river near the ocean. So it starts at 1.001 to 1.022 where saltwater start. Their is some brackwater that are more dense than saltwater called over-salt. Their some place with high sodium and potassium disolve in water but its a specific place in U-S.

So look closely to some analyse of malawi lake and you'll see! Its not a guess!

Thanks ... I'm from northern Ireland water here is always ph of 7.6 and high ph 8.2 !! Anyone trust wikipedia ??? This is war they have to say... The bumblebee gobies from the genus Brachygobius are perhaps the most widely traded freshwater species, being small, colorful, and easy to care for. They need tropical, hard and alkaline freshwater or slightly brackish conditions to do well. Gobies are generally peaceful towards their tankmates, though territorial among themselves. Since most are small and few are predatory toward other fishes, they usually make good community fishes. Typically, the main problem with gobies is feeding them: with a few exceptions, the small species kept in aquariums prefer live on frozen foods rather than flake, and they are not very good at competing with active species such as cichlids. One says yeah the other says nay .... I'm frustrated big time !!!

I read that lake tang is a salty lake. Not sure where I read it though, sorry.

I dont use salt unless I have a problem in the tank.

Salty is more about calcium chloride and magnesium with all minerals!! In the tagayika lake and malawi its no more a complete salty water but for sure never put sodium chloride, it not GH and KH helping product its to prevent nitite poisonning in some case( specialy goldfish) and to help as medication!

Use alkaline booster and GH booster or a seachem cichlid salt!! No freshwater salt for cichlid except for medication if needed!

I have to completely agree with mfdrookie516 on this one. The salt myth is an old one that has taken on a life of it's own.

Back
Top Bottom