Sand? Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug4701

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't like traditional pet store gravel and sand is almost too loose, so what would be a good medium? Can agranite (sp?) work in fresh water?

Yes if your doing Africans. In my other tank I had aragonite with some live coral sand and it was great

May some of you provide examples of your pool filter sanded tanks?

Pool Filter Sand has a natural color and the size of the grains are heavy enough that none will get into your filter. Below is a pic of one of my fat juvies 6 months ago after feeding time.
5qct.jpg

Here's another pic under white light (50/50 Coralife bulb), it's a little whiter in the picture, but it's a tiny bit more tan in color in person.
dikv.jpg

Fantastic. Do you have to rinse it out like crazy like a bag of regular sand?

I haven't used play sand, so I'm not sure. It only took me 10-15 minutes to rinse out all the dust for a 25lb bag.

I like pool filter sand or Petco brand black sand. Both have worked well for me. I also use Eco-complete (yes I have MTS) lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392004325.689449.jpg
This is mine with pool filter sand. Started sand few weeks ago. Much easier clean up and it's heavy enough it doesn't get in the filter

Here's mine in my tanks. Pool filter sand is like $10 for a 50 lb bag. Wont ever use anything but!!! First pic is much more indication of what it REALLY looks like. Others look much brighter ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392005798.226338.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392005850.784912.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392005866.685782.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392005896.981796.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392005913.772502.jpg

Thank you so much for the heads up. Seems so much easier to clean out and use.. Looks very natural too.

I just used sillica sand (pool filter sand) and I love it. I have black gravel in my 29g but I like the sand better. It easier to clean and my fish seem to love it. It was a pain in the *** to clean though. I bought 100# and spent about 1-1/2 hrs washing it in buckets in the tub. Even after that my water still clouded up for a few days after I did my aqua scaping but it cleared quickly with the filter (Aqua clear 110).

I just used sillica sand (pool filter sand) and I love it. I have black gravel in my 29g but I like the sand better. It easier to clean and my fish seem to love it. It was a pain in the *** to clean though. I bought 100# and spent about 1-1/2 hrs washing it in buckets in the tub. Even after that my water still clouded up for a few days after I did my aqua scaping but it cleared quickly with the filter (Aqua clear 110).

Agreed. Took a while Too clean and have clear run off and when I put it in my tank it was cloudy a few days but cleared up with filter. But now after weeks it's Amazing. Will not go back to gravel EVER! :)

Back
Top Bottom