Sand in Aquaqrium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking of putting sand in my cichlid tank.
I have heard that Aragonite sand helps keep the pH higher for African Cichlids

Has anyone used sand before and what kind did you use?

I wouldn't waste your money on Argo. Sand. If you feel you need to buffer you water add crushed coral to the filter. I personally think Pool filter sand looks best in an African cichlid tank and is only about $6 for a 50lb bag.

I use Quikrete all-purpose or play sand. I like the natural color. A lotta people I've talked to on-line use pool filter sand, but I don't have easy access to it and have never used it.

WYite

I use lighthouse pool filter sand. Cheap. Effective. Looks great. I mixed in crushed coral for an even better look plus it helps buffer. Just make sure you clean, clean, and clean again when you think you're done.

p-71403-50793-fish-supply.jpg
this is what i have in my tank now love it .. i have many bottom dwellers and diggers and they love it to

I was just going to ask if the "Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate" (20lbs for $19.99) that I was looking at on line was a good idea or not...
I'm just setting up my first cichlid tank, and our water isn't neither hard nor soft.
Does the size of the substrate grain that you choose get decided on based on the kind of cichlids that you are going to house?
And for the crushed coral, can I use it as the substrate, part of the substrate, just in the canister filter.... Add as needed to the substrate?
Thanks in advance for any help! I want to set things up for the best possible success!

abbysue said:
And for the crushed coral, can I use it as the substrate, part of the substrate, just in the canister filter.... Add as needed to the substrate?
Thanks in advance for any help! I want to set things up for the best possible success!

Sure.

Lol, add it wherever you want. It serves as a good media in filtration for your BB to grow on along with its value of raising ph. I only have it mixed in with my sand for the look since I already have hard water.

You can use that sand but to me it's a waste of money. Black blasting sand looks just as good and costs a fraction. A general rule of thumb is 1lb/gallon, that price adds up quickly when filling larger tanks.

...Does the size of the substrate grain that you choose get decided on based on the kind of cichlids that you are going to house?

Ya can use any size grain ya want for any species; I use the same sand for my 12"+ CA cichlids as I do for small African cichlids.

Ya can take any of the avenues ya listed for the crushed coral. When I lived in town and had softer water, I mixed it with the substrate. Now that I live outside of town and am on hard well water, I don't use it at all.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom